With Windows 7, Microsoft has introduced Libraries: a wonderful feature of the Explorer shell, that allows you to group multiple folders in a single view, even if they are located on different volumes. Searching through Libraries is also very fast, because Windows performs indexing of all locations which are included inside a Library. Today, we will see how to remove an included folder from a library in Windows 10
By default, Windows 10 comes with the following libraries:
- Camera Roll
- Saved Pictures
Note: If the Libraries folder is not visible in your File Explorer, see the article:
The following libraries are pinned to the navigation pane by default:
Also, check out how to move Libraries above This PC in Windows 10.
Windows 10 allows adding up to 50 locations to a library. You can add a local drive to a Library, an external USB drive or an SD card (starting in Windows 8.1), a network location (using Winaero Librarian but it won't be indexed). Also, you cannot add a DVD drive. These are limitations by design.
Removing a folder from a Library doesn't delete its files and subfolders. Its contents will remain unchanged, but won't appear in the library any more.
To remove a folder from a library in Windows 10, do the following.
- Navigate to your Libraries folder with File Explorer. Tip: Even if you don't have Libraries in the navigation pane on the left, you can press the Win + R keys and type shell:Libraries into the Run box. Learn more about shell: commands.
- Right-click a library and select Properties in the context menu.
- In Properties, select the folder you want to remove in the list.
- Click on the Remove button.
You are done. The folder is now excluded from the library.
Alternatively, you can use the Manage Library dialog. It is accessible through the Ribbon.
Remove a folder from a library with the Manage Library dialog
- Select the desired library in the Libraries folder.
- In the Ribbon, go to the Manage tab will appear under Library tools.
- Click on the Manage library button on the left.
- In the next dialog, remove the desired folders using the buttons next to the folder list.
- Rename Libraries Folder in Windows 10
- Change Libraries Folder Icon in Windows 10
- Add Manage Library Context Menu in Windows 10
- Include a Folder to a Library in Windows 10
- Change Icons of Default Libraries in Windows 10
- How to re-order folders inside a library in Windows 10
- How to change the icon of a folder inside a Library
- Add or Remove Library From Navigation Pane in Windows 10
- Set Default Save Location for Library in Windows 10
- Add Change Icon to Library Context Menu in Windows 10
- Add Optimize Library For to Context Menu in Windows 10
- Remove Include in Library Context Menu in Windows 10