With Windows 7, Microsoft has introduced Libraries: a wonderful feature of the Explorer shell, which allows you to group multiple folders in a single view, even if they are located on different volumes. Searching through Libraries is also very fast, because Windows performs indexing of all locations which are included inside a Library. You can add a custom location to any library in order to access it faster.
By default, Windows 10 comes with the following libraries:
- Camera Roll
- Saved Pictures
Note: If the Libraries folder is not visible in your File Explorer, see the article:
The following libraries are pinned to the navigation pane by default:
Also, check out how to move Libraries above This PC in Windows 10.
Windows 10 allows adding up to 50 locations to a library. You can add a local drive to a Library, an external USB drive or an SD card (starting in Windows 8.1), a network location (using Winaero Librarian but it won't be indexed). Also, you cannot add a DVD drive. These are limitations by design.
There are two ways to add a folder to a library in Windows 10. Let's see how it can be do.
To add a folder to a library in Windows 10, do the following.
- Navigate to your Libraries folder with File Explorer. Tip: Even if you don't have Libraries in the navigation pane on the left, you can press the Win + R keys and type shell:Libraries into the Run box. Learn more about shell: commands.
- Right-click a library and select Properties in the context menu.
- In Properties, click on the Add button to browse to a location and add it to the library.
- In the next dialog, you can browse for a folder. Click on the Include folder button to add to the library.
You are done.
Alternatively, you can use the Manage Library dialog. It is accessible through the Ribbon.
Add a folder to a library with the Manage Library dialog
- Select the desired library in the Libraries folder.
- In the Ribbon, go to the Manage tab will appear under Library tools.
- Click on the Manage library button on the left.
- In the next dialog, add or remove the desired folders using the buttons next to the folder list.
- Change Icons of Default Libraries in Windows 10
- How to re-order folders inside a library in Windows 10
- How to change the icon of a folder inside a Library
- Add or Remove Library From Navigation Pane in Windows 10
- Set Default Save Location for Library in Windows 10
- Add Change Icon to Library Context Menu in Windows 10
- Add Optimize Library For to Context Menu in Windows 10
- Remove Include in Library Context Menu in Windows 10