With Windows 7, Microsoft has introduced Libraries: a wonderful feature of the Explorer shell, which allows you to group multiple folders in a single view, even if they are located on different volumes. Searching through Libraries is also very fast, because Windows performs indexing of all locations which are included inside a Library. You can add a custom location to any library in order to access it faster.
By default, Windows 10 comes with the following libraries:
- Camera Roll
- Saved Pictures
Note: If the Libraries folder is not visible in your File Explorer, see the article:
The following libraries are pinned to the navigation pane by default:
Also, check out how to move Libraries above This PC in Windows 10.
Windows 10 allows adding up to 50 locations to a library. You can add a local drive to a Library, an external USB drive or an SD card (starting in Windows 8.1), a network location (using Winaero Librarian but it won't be indexed). Also, you cannot add a DVD drive. These are limitations by design.
There are two ways to add a folder to a library in Windows 10. Let's see how it can be do.
To add a folder to a library in Windows 10, do the following.
- Navigate to your Libraries folder with File Explorer. Tip: Even if you don't have Libraries in the navigation pane on the left, you can press the Win + R keys and type shell:Libraries into the Run box. Learn more about shell: commands.
- Right-click a library and select Properties in the context menu.
- In Properties, click on the Add button to browse to a location and add it to the library.
- In the next dialog, you can browse for a folder. Click on the Include folder button to add to the library.
You are done.
Alternatively, you can use the Manage Library dialog. It is accessible through the Ribbon.
Add a folder to a library with the Manage Library dialog
- Select the desired library in the Libraries folder.
- In the Ribbon, go to the Manage tab will appear under Library tools.
- Click on the Manage library button on the left.
- In the next dialog, add or remove the desired folders using the buttons next to the folder list.
- Change Icons of Default Libraries in Windows 10
- How to re-order folders inside a library in Windows 10
- How to change the icon of a folder inside a Library
- Add or Remove Library From Navigation Pane in Windows 10
- Set Default Save Location for Library in Windows 10
- Add Change Icon to Library Context Menu in Windows 10
- Add Optimize Library For to Context Menu in Windows 10
- Remove Include in Library Context Menu in Windows 10
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: