Microsoft today released a new version of their Chromium-based Microsoft Edge browser. The update hits the Dev channel with version 184.108.40.206.
This build is the first appearance of the version 76 in the Dev channel. The change log for Microsoft Edge Chromium 220.127.116.11 highlights the following updates:
Improvements and new functionality
- Spellcheck is now enabled by default for everyone.
- Downloads, Extensions, Favorites, History, and Settings all have refreshed colors and layout.
- Read Aloud will now select one of the new cloud-powered voices by default.
- The logic for quick links on the New Tab Page has been updated. Any site you add manually or edit will remain in the list unless you delete it, while other sites will continue to update based on your browsing history.
- Added support for Dolby AC3/E-AC3 audio decoding for some media playback sources.
- You can now sort favorites by name from the manage favorites page by right-clicking on the page background and choosing “Sort by name”.
- Favorites in the favorites bar can now be reordered using ALT+SHIFT+LEFT/ALT+SHIFT+RIGHT.
- When viewing history, you can now filter by time range and then search within the filtered results.
- While viewing history, CTRL+A will now select all items in the current list.
- The “Add a profile” flyout now uses dark colors in dark theme.
- The default profile icon now has a gray background instead of a white background in dark theme.
- Tooltip improvements for tabs: new tooltip for tab close button, keyboard shortcuts added to tooltips, and special tooltip notes when a tab is in an error state.
- The title of an InPrivate window now contains “[InPrivate]”.
- The escape key now cancels profile creation.
- When the window width is small, the “Profiles” and “Appearance” items in the Settings nav bar no longer overlap.
- Installed sites now show the “Customize and control” menu button in the title bar.
- Fixed a case where a page would scroll the wrong amount when using the keyboard to scroll in high DPI modes.
- The first item in a context menu is no longer showing a hover effect when the menu is opened.
- Fixed a bug which could cause updates to stop if you upgrade to the next Windows 10 release.
- We fixed some problems with keyboard navigation through the toolbar and favorites.
- Fixed an issue where Netflix sometimes temporarily stopped playing video after seeking.
- Fixed an issue where Read Aloud would stop reading if it encountered certain characters.
- Fixed an issue which could cause the list of pages in “On startup” settings to render incompletely.
- When creating or editing a profile, the profile icon choices now appear in two tidy rows as expected.
- Removed an extra vertical separator that was incorrectly appearing between an active tab and its neighbor tabs.
- Fixed an intermittent crash in the send feedback dialog.
- Site permissions for USB devices are now shown properly in Settings.
- When a web page is using your microphone, a microphone icon now shows instead of a camera icon.
- Fixed some dark text on dark background in the profile flyout in dark mode.
- In dark theme, disabled toolbar buttons are now much easier to see.
At the moment of this writing, the actual Edge Chromium versions are as follows.
— Sergey Tkachenko (@winreview) May 10, 2019
The browser installs updates automatically. Also, you can manually check for updates by visiting the menu Help > About Microsoft Edge. Finally, you can grab the Edge installer from the following page:
Here is everything you need to know about the new Microsoft Edge browser:
- Here’s how Microsoft Edge Chromium looks on macOS
- Microsoft Edge Chromium now installs PWAs in the root of the Start menu
- Enable Translator in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Dynamically Changes Its User Agent
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Warns When Running as Administrator
- Change Search Engine In Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Hide or Show Favorites Bar in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Install Chrome Extensions in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Dark Mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Chrome Features Removed and Replaced by Microsoft in Edge
- Microsoft Released Chromium-based Edge Preview Versions
- Chromium-Based Edge to Support 4K and HD Video Streams
- Microsoft Edge Insider extension now available in Microsoft Store
- Hands-on with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Insider Addons Page Revealed
- Microsoft Translator is Now Integrated with Microsoft Edge Chromium