In Windows 10, Microsoft introduced a new browser called Microsoft Edge. It was created to replace Internet Explorer. Edge is positioned as a modern browser with support of all mainstream web standards. Microsoft implemented a new rendering engine for the browser, which stripped out a lot of legacy code. However, for many users, Microsoft Edge is not at all impressive. It lacks usability, comes without extensions support and it is a Modern/Universal app with many limitations. Its user interface is absolutely terrible and it has no configurable options at all compared to Internet Explorer's rich options. Many users think of Edge as a junk browser and want to remove Microsoft Edge from Windows 10. Today, I would like to share how it can be done.
Like any built-in Windows apps, Microsoft Edge has no option to get rid of it. To uninstall and remove the Edge browser in Windows 10, we need to refer to a third party tool. Follow the intructions below:
- Download the Uninstall Edge ZIP file I made to make it easy.
- Extract all files from the ZIP archive you downloaded to any desired folder, e.g. Desktop.
- Right click the Uninstall Edge.cmd file and select "Run as Administrator".
- Wait till the process is done.
- Restart Windows 10.
- Now, set your favorite browser as the default. For example, to set Firefox as the default, refer to this article: How to set Firefox as the default browser in Windows 10.
Behind this trick is an application called WIMTweak which manages Windows Packages and allows you to hide/unhide them from the Windows image (WIM) file. It works on offline images as well as online. WIMTweak was created by MSFN user Legolash2o, so credits for this awesome tool go to him.