Some users who use Microsoft Office, and especially Insiders on the Fast Ring of the Office Insider program have faced an issue. Once MS Office is installed, a command prompt window appears on the screen every hour and quickly disappears. Here is how you can get rid of it.
This issue is really annoying. Imagine yourself playing a full screen game and that console window suddenly appears and steals focus from the game. Some apps may even timeout or crash if you were in middle of some action which requires immediate user interaction. Microsoft has already fixed the issue, and it’s currently available to those who are part of the Office Insider program’s Slow Ring. However, if you are affected by this issue and cannot move to the unstable branch of Microsoft Office, here is a very simple but effective solution.
To get rid of the command prompt popup after installing MS Office, you need to do the following.
- Open Administrative Tools.
- Double-click the shortcut "Task Scheduler":
- In the left pane, click the item "Task Scheduler Library":
- Go to Task Scheduler Library \ Microsoft \ Office
- Find a task named "OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration".
- Right click the task and select "Disable" in the context menu.
This will resolve the issue. Image and credits: MSPowerUser.