How to Disable Detachable Tabs in Mozilla Firefox
Starting in Firefox 74, you can turn off the detachable tabs feature in the browser. This will disable the ability to create a new window from a tab drag-and-drop in Firefox, and save you from accidentally moving a tab and turning it into a separate window.
Firefox users are aware of the ability to drag-and-drop a tab to change the tab order. Also, dragging a tab out of the tab bar to the Desktop makes Firefox create a new window from a tab. However, this sometimes happens accidentally. Due to a bug, Firefox may suddenly create a new window when you are dragging a tab inside the tab bar area, even without leaving it. When I was using Firefox as my primary browser, this had happened to me a lot.
This annoying bug is in Firefox for at least 9 years. Finally, Firefox 74 offers a workaround that allows disabling the detachable tabs feature via a new option in
To Disable Detachable Tabs in Firefox (Tab Drag-and-Drop),
- Open Firefox.
- In a new tab, type
about:configin the address bar.
- Click I accept the risk.
- In the search box, type or copy-paste the line
- Double-click on the value name in the search result to toggle its value from true to false.
You are done. This will prevent tabs from being detached from the tab bar. You'll lose the ability to open new Firefox windows by dragging a tab outside of the tab bar, but the ability to re-arrange tabs will remain available. Also, you can always open a new window quickly with Ctrl+N, and copy-paste the URL instead of dragging and dropping the tab.
To restore the defaults, set the
browser.tabs.allowTabDetach value back to true.
As of now, the actual Firefox version is 74. It is a minor release, notable for discontinuation of TLS 1.0 and 1.1. It will no longer establish connections to web sites that use these outdated standards. To learn more about changes introduces in Firefox 74, check out the following post:
Articles of interest:
- Firefox 75 Strips https:// and www From Address Bar Results
- Enable Lazy Loading for Images and Iframes in Firefox
- Enable Site Specific Browser in Firefox
- Automatically Export Bookmarks To HTML File in Firefox
- Enable DNS over HTTPS in Firefox
- Remove What’s New Gift Box Icon From Firefox
- Enable Green HTTPS Icon in Firefox 70
- Disable Content Blocking for Individual Sites in Firefox
- Enable Loading of userChrome.css and userContent.css in Firefox
- Prevent Firefox From Suspending Tabs
- How to Refresh Firefox in Windows 10
- Disable Extension Recommendations in Firefox
- Remove Individual Autocomplete Suggestions in Firefox
- More HERE.
Thanks to OpenNET.