Google is releasing a new version of their Chrome browser. Version 74 is landing on the stable branch, featuring 39 security fixes and a number of improvements and optimizations.
Google Chrome is the most popular web browser which exists for all major platforms like Windows, Android and Linux. It comes with a powerful rendering engine which supports all modern web standards.
Here are the key changes in Chrome 74
- Enabled API WebAssembly Threads and WebAssembly Atomics.
- The CSS media query 'prefers-reduced-motion' has been implemented, so web sites can now detect that animations are disabled on the client side.
- Scroll-To-Text: To enable users to easily navigate to specific content in a web page, Chrome includes support for specifying a text snippet in the URL fragment. When navigating to a URL with such a fragment, the browser will find the first instance of the text snippet in the page and bring it into view. Can be enabled with the
There are a few more interesting options you may like. First of all, you can enable the dark theme in the browser. Please see these articles:
- Enable Dark Mode in Google Chrome on Windows
- Google Chrome Canary Now Follows System Dark Theme in Windows 10
Also, there is a special flag
chrome://flags/#enable-lazy-image-loading that allows a browser to defer loading offscreen images and iframes until users scroll near them. Enable the mentioned flag and restart the browser.
Note: The offline installer doesn't support the automatic update feature of Chrome. By installing it this way, you will be forced to always update your browser manually.