Windows 10 Redstone 2 Insider preview builds have already started from Microsoft. Redstone 2 is the update succeeding Anniversary Update. It is expected to bring many new features to Windows 10. Based on current internal builds, I can tell you about some interesting features that are already present.
The Windows team is currently testing build 14941 (10.0.14941.1001). Either this build or a newer build is likely to be released in the next few days. Here are some random features observed in this build:
- OneDrive Placeholders (these are in fact already present in the OneDrive UWP app version 17.15.5 on the Fast Ring):
Image credits: WinSuperSite
- OneDrive placeholders in Explorer:
- New Windows 10 Business and Windows 10 Home for Work editions.
- New system apps and the ability to uninstall them.
- Office Hub app which integrates Office 365 and Windows 10, providing easy and quick access to documents, email, and calendar.
- Windows Update taskbar icon that says "Updates pending install, tap here to take action". You can tap the notification to install them.
- Control Panel in the Win+X menu (the menu that appears when you right click the Start button) is replaced with Settings.
- New process state in Task Manager called Throttled (earlier we had only Running or Suspended).
- Windows Briefcase which could be enabled in Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Redstone 1 is now completely removed.
- Another Windows Update related message: "Important updates are available. Please leave your machine on so we can download and process them while you aren't using your computer.".
- Offline Windows Update troubleshooting: You get a message saying "A pending installation of a incompatible update is preventing Windows from starting". Probably Microsoft is adding some recovery when if an update bricks your PC.
- You can now impose various restrictions regarding Active Hours with Group Policy.
- Microsoft Edge will inform users that a website is using a weak signature.
- Enterprise Data Protection is being renamed to Windows Information Protection.
- New driver management option: "Uninstall this driver from any devices that currently use it". pnputil.exe incorporates these Device Manager additions.
- The new build is able to differentiate between tablets and 2-in-1 convertible devices.
- A new feature called Login Certificates for the purpose of multiple automated device management.
- "Recover from the cloud" option that is already available for Surface Book and Surface Pro.
- A new Windows Holographic shell for Microsoft HoloLens.
- The core engine of Microsoft Edge which is shared with other components will be updated via Windows Update but the rest of the app such as the UI and end-user feature will be updated via the Store.
- People Bar on the taskbar that will show faces of recent/active/frequent contacts.
- Night Mode Blue Light reduction feature.
- Improved speech recognition in Cortana.
- OneClip (cloud clipboard where you copy once and paste from any device).
- A new "Working Sets" feature to let you organize everything related to a project (emails, images, contacts, documents and spreadsheets, calendar appointments etc), as pin it to the Start Menu as a Live Tile.
Note that any of these features can be canceled, postponed or completely reworked when Redstone 2 finally ships.
Over time as more details become available on each of these features, we will review them in detail. Stay tuned.