A new version of WSL is now available to Insiders in all channels of Windows. The release is notable for several graphic stack improvements, includes the Linux Kernel 184.108.40.206, and more accurate time sync between Windows and Linux.
Windows Subsystem for Linux allows running Linux binaries right from Windows via a VM with very small footprint. It works much faster than a virtual machine, and doesn't require you to maintain a dual-boot setup. WSL is a welcome feature by advanced users and developer who create cross-platform projects. WSL works in Windows 10 and Windows 11.
With this release, Microsoft is testing a wide range of changes among Insiders to collect feedback and find if they are ready for the public rollout. On GitHub, there is the msixbundle file of WSL 0.65.1 that you can download and install. It comes with the following notes.
What's new in Windows Subsystem for Linux 0.65.1
- Improvements to localhost relay to have better performance and accurately report bind failures.
/dev/ptp0to keep guest chock in sync with the host
- Improve the error message if the distro list can't be fetched and wire it to
wsl.exe --list --online
- Update Linux kernel to 220.127.116.11
- Fix 9p filesystem regressions since the last v5.10 WSL2 kernel
- Enable support for the Precision Time Protocol (PTP) clock device
- Enable Retbleed mitigations in x86_64 builds
- Enable nftables and traffic control
- Enable VGEM driver
- Update Microsoft.WSLg to version 1.0.41
- WSLg: add default x11 bell sound
- WSLg: Update /etc/wsl.conf to set the default user to wslg
- WSLGd: add option to start weston under gdbserver
- WSLGd: simplify weston command line construction
- compositor: add wslgd-notify
- compositor: Stop trapping SIGINT
- compositor: load xwayland module last
- rdp: resize margin adjustment for MoveWindow/SnapArrange PDU
- rdpaudio: use pthread_cancel instead of pthread_kill
- xwayland: give Xwayland its own session
- xwayland: Don't track focus for override redirect windows
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: