Microsoft today released a new Windows 11 build to Insiders in the Dev channel. The key changes include touch keyboard theme support for other flyouts like voice input and emoji panel, the ability to colorize individual faces for "family" emoji, and a few more minor but useful improvements.
What's new in Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22504
- To further personalize your Windows text input experience, Microsoft expanded the 13 themes for the touch keyboard to now apply to our other input experiences, including IMEs, the emoji panel, and voice typing. Also available for all themed experiences is the theme engine that allows you to create a fully customized theme including background images. You can find all this under the new “Text Input” section under Settings > Personalization. This isn’t available to all Insiders just yet as we plan to monitor feedback and see how it lands before pushing it out to everyone.
- The ability for personalized combinations of emoji based on face and skin tones of family members, couples with heart, kissing, and people holding hands. Just open the emoji panel (Win + . ) and try these combinations out by typing the following in the search box: family, couple, holding hands, or kissing. This isn’t available to all Insiders just yet as we plan to monitor feedback and see how it lands before pushing it out to everyone.
- You can now use the Win + Alt + K keyboard shortcut to toggle the new mute icon in the Taskbar when it’s showing.
- Based on feedback, Microsoft made emoji search in Portuguese and Polish a little more flexible with keywords containing diacritics.
- Included .NET Framework 4.8.1 that will bring native ARM64 support for the .NET Framework runtime.
- As Settings > System > Sound in Windows 11 shows a warning when microphone access has been restricted in your privacy settings, Microsoft removes the notification to alert you about this.
- Added support for the cancellation of daylight savings time for the Republic of Fiji for 2021.
- On new installs the touch indicator option will now be turned off by default under Settings > Accessibility > Mouse pointer and touch. As part of this change, they added a link to this Settings page from Settings > Bluetooth & Devices > Touch and made it so that the press and hold visual is now always displayed regardless of the setting state.
- Apps will now launch maximized by default when in the tablet posture on small devices (11-inch screens diagonal and under).
There are also fixes, many of them. Check out the official announcement.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!