You can enable or disable Remember Window Locations in Windows 11, a feature that makes the OS remember window locations based on monitor connection. Thanks to it, the next you open an app or a File Explorer window, it will open right at the position where you close it.
There are two methods to enable or disable this feature. There is a checkbox available in the Settings app which you can use. Alternatively, you can make a small change in the Registry for the same.
This post will show you how to allow or prevent Windows 11 from saving last window location based on monitor connection. This is a per-user option.
Enable Remember Window Locations in Windows 11
- Open the Settings app by pressing the Win + I shortcut.
- Navigate to System > Display.
- In the right pane, turn on (check) the Remember window location based on monitor connection option under the Multiple displays section.
- You can now close the Settings app.
You are done. Similarly to the above, you can disable the feature on Windows 11 for you multi-display configuration.
Disable the Remember Window Locations feature
To disable Remember Window Locations in Windows 11, do the following.
- Press Win + I on your keyboard to open the Settings app.
- Click on the System icon.
- Click on Display on the left.
- On the right, disable (uncheck) the Remember window location based on monitor connection which is enabled by default.
- Close the Settings app if you don't need it any longer.
That's how you disable the Remember Window Locations feature for multiple displays in Windows 11.
Finally, you can configure the feature in the Registry.
Change Remember Window Locations in the Registry
You can turn on or off the above mentioned feature with a simple Registry tweak. The related parameter can be found under the key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop. See here how to open it directly. There, you need to change the
RestorePreviousStateRecalcBehavior 32-bit DWORD value which accepts the following value data:
0 = Enable
1 = Disable
Note: The DWORD must be 32-bit even on a 64-bit Windows 11.
Download REG Files
For you convenience, you can download the ZIP archive with Registry files I have created to automate the above process. By using them, you can quickly enable or disable the window location option with one click, without opening the Registry or Settings.
- Download this ZIP archive.
- Unpack the included REG files to any folder of your choice.
- Double-click the file
Enable remember window locations in Windows 11.regto enable the save location feature.
- The other file you have,
Disable remember window locations in Windows 11.regwill turn off this new behavior and prevent the OS from saving it.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!