Microsoft today released Windows 11 Build 22509 to Dev channel Insiders. The most important changes in this release include the ability to pin more items to the Start menu by reducing the Recent files area. Also, Windows 11 will finally display the clock on all taskbars on all displays.
Microsoft lists the key changes as follows.
What's new in Windows 11 Build 22509 (Dev channel)
- This build includes a set of improvements that make browsing the web in Microsoft Edge with Narrator easier.
- This build includes a good set of improvements including new layout options for Start, clock and date will now show on secondary monitors, and Settings changes.
Narrator in Microsoft Edge
Microsoft Edge version 97.0.4683.0 or higher is required to take advantage of these improvements on Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22509 and higher. Edge 97 is currently on the Beta channel.
Typing in edit fields should now be faster, because scan mode will now turn off faster. When navigating around the web more useful information is provided, and lastly you will have a more consistent navigation experience with Narrator.
- If you press Ctrl + L to jump to the address bar, you should be able to start typing immediately because scan mode will turn off sooner.
- Besides typing improvements with Narrator, Microsoft has also made it easier to delete in edit fields. Narrator will now read the character that the cursor position is at after a character has been deleted. In other words, if the cursor is on the “h” of “hello” and you press delete, Narrator will speak “e”.
- You will also get more contextual information when navigating around the web. For example, required radio buttons and edit fields will now be read out as required, and more information about lists including list levels and accurate list indices will now be read out.
In addition to getting more information read out, you will have a more consistent navigation experience with Narrator. This includes improvements in heading navigation, a more consistent scan mode navigation experience where scan mode is less likely to loop between items, and a more consistent hyperlink reading experience when navigating forwards and backwards.
Pin more Start menu items
You can now right-click on Start to quickly access Start settings and choose the “More pins” or “More recommendations” layout option to show an extra row of either pins or recommendations, respectively.
Taskbar clock and date for all displays
When a secondary monitor is connected, your clock and date will now also be displayed on the taskbars of the secondary monitor or monitors. This useful feature was not available in the new taskbar of Windows 11 in its first stable release.
Sadly, this improvement is not yet available to all Insiders. Microsoft is gradually rolling out it.
If the new feature is not available for you, or you are running a stable Windows 11 release, check out the following solution with the ElevenClock app.
- The following settings were moved from Control Panel into the Settings app:
- The advanced sharing settings (such as Network discovery, File and printer sharing, and public folder sharing) are now on a new page in Settings app under Advanced Network Settings.
- Some updates have been done to the device specific pages under Printers & Scanners in Settings to show more information about your printer or scanner directly in Settings when available.
- Some of the entry points for network and devices settings in Control Panel will now redirect to the corresponding pages in Settings.
For apps that send notifications for calls, reminders, or alarms that leverage Windows notifications in the OS, 3 high priority notifications will now be shown as stacked and shown at the same time. This means at any given time, you might see up to 4 notifications at the same time – 3 high priority notifications and one normal priority notification.
To learn more about fixes and known issues in today's release, check out the official announcement.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: