Microsoft today released a new build from the Dev channel to Insiders. Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22478 is now available via the Windows Update service. It comes from the RS_PRERELEASE branch, which is not tied to a specific Windows release. Such builds have all the bleeding edge changes and also show a desktop watermark.
The features Microsoft introduce in these builds may or may not appear in the stable branch of Windows. They can be delivered with cumulative updates, or become part of major feature updates. It is up to the Redmond software giant to define whether they are ready or not.
The full build tag of the released update is 10.0.22478.1000.rs_prerelease.211008-1414. It will expire on 9/15/2022. To successfully receive it, your device must be compliant with minimum hardware requirements of Windows 11.
What's new in Windows 11 Build 22478
This build introduces a new emoji design. In July, the Microsoft Design team unveiled new Fluent Design emojis that will eventually appear across all Microsoft 365 products, including Windows. Starting with today's build of Windows 11, you can give them a try!
To check out the new emoji, open up the built-in emoji panel using the Win + . hotkey.
- The updated version of the Korean IME is now available to everyone in the Dev Channel.
- When your laptop is closed, it’s now possible to login to your PC using Facial Recognition (Windows Hello) on a connected external monitor if it has a camera attached that supports it.
- Improvements made to the Search indexer service that should help reduce disk space usage on the system – particularly in cases where users had very large Outlook mailboxes.
- Scrolling your mouse wheel on the volume icon in the Taskbar will now change the current volume level.
- Adjustments to the dialog when adding a new language in Settings to make it look a little more modern, including rounding the corners.
The official change log includes a few more details, including the list of fixes. Check out it here.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!