Microsoft updates the Fast Ring with Windows 10 Build 19628. If you are a Windows Insider in the Fast Ring, you should receive this build automatically. Here's what's new.
General changes & improvements
- We’re adding initial support for DNS over HTTPS, so that you can opt into using encryption when Windows makes DNS queries. Follow the instructions in this blog post to opt in as it will be off by default.
- Thanks everyone who shared feedback about the updated version of Korea Microsoft IME introduced with Build 18941. For the moment, the IME version will be returning to the previous one while we take your feedback into consideration.
- We’ve fixed an issue causing some devices fail to update with error code 0xc0000409. If you continue to experience this error, please let us know by filing new feedback in Feedback Hub.
- We’re aware Narrator and NVDA users that seek the latest release of Microsoft Edge based on Chromium may experience some difficulty when navigating and reading certain web content. Narrator, NVDA and the Edge teams are aware of these issues. Users of legacy Microsoft Edge will not be affected. NVAccess has released a NVDA 2019.3 that resolves the known issue with Edge.
- We’re looking into reports of the update process hanging for extended periods of time when attempting to install a new build.
- We’re working on fixing an issue for a future Insider Preview build where in Settings > Privacy the Documents and Downloads sections show a broken icon next to their page name (just a rectangle).
- We’re looking into reports of IIS configuration being set to default after taking a new build. You will need to back up your IIS configuration and restore it after the new build is installed successfully.
- We’re looking into reports that taskbar preview thumbnails aren’t rendering consistently (showing a blank area).
MIcrosoft has also noted that new Fast Ring builds are now coming from the new MN_RELEASE branch. MN there stands for Manganese, which is a code name for Windows 10 20H2. However, Microsoft again reminds that the builds from the MN_RELEASE branch are not matched to a specific Windows 10 release.
As we mentioned back in December, the Fast ring receives builds directly from this active development branch. In this case, we are practicing our ability to change which branch we consider as the active development branch. This is just a short-term change and we intend to release builds from RS_PRERELEASE again soon. As our engineers work in development cycles internally, we may prioritize work being done in a specific branch and may need to move Insiders between branches.
The Fast ring now reflects the latest changes made to Windows code base. It is a work-in-progress, so the changes you see in Fast Ring releases may not appear in the upcoming feature update. Due to the changes coming to the Fast Ring builds, it is possible that will see some of Windows 10X features on Desktop. Microsoft may want to roll out Windows 10X's features to test them with a larger number of devices. So we can expect to see some features which will never appear in stable Windows 10 versions on Desktop.
If you have configured your device to receive updates from the Fast Ring ring, open Settings - > Update & recovery and click on the Check for Updates button on the right. This will install the latest available Insider Preview of Windows 10.