Thunderbird, one of the best open source email clients got updated today. The new version is 60 and I would like to share with you what is new in this version.
Thunderbird is my preferred email client of choice. I use this app on every PC and on every operating system I use. It is stable, contains all the features you need, supports add-ons and also comes with a useful RSS reader. I am using Thunderbird for many years and never felt the need to look for an alternative.
As you may know, Thunderbird used to be Mozilla's project but Mozilla decided to discontinue development on it. Now it is developed only by community members, so new releases appear more slowly than they used to in the Mozilla era.
Thunderbird 60 features lots of notable changes
- A new Phonon user interface.
- Improved the Lightning fature. Lightning implements a calendar for Thunderbird. It is close to the calendar you get in Microsoft Outlook. Now Lightning will allow you to copy, paste, cut, or delete the selected events. Also, it can automatically send a notification about the upcoming meeting.
- Version 60 will only run extensions that are marked as compatible with Thunderbird 60.0 explicitly.
- Customizable templates for email messages.
- A new hotkey Alt+M to quickly open the Manage attachments panel.
- A new popup button to quickly delete addresses from the To/Cc/Bcc fields.
- Many improvements made to the Address Book, and message formatting. E.g. you can press and hold the Shift key while editing a draft to convert your message from Plain Text to HTML and vice versa.
So, the release of Thunderbird 60 looks very interesting. However, there is a glitch. Thanks to the add-on format change, there is no working 'minimize to tray' extension at the time of this writing. You might be missing some other add-ons too.
You can grab Thunderbird 60 using the following link:
You will see a number of folders. Click on one of the following folders:
- win32 - Thunderbird for Windows 32-bit
- win64 -Thunderbird for Windows 64-bit
- linux-i686 -Thunderbird for 32-bit Linux
- linux-x86_64 -Thunderbird for 64-bit Linux
- mac -Thunderbird for macOS
Each folder has subfolders organized by the app language. Click on the desired language and download the installer.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!