How to Sign in to Microsoft Store with Different Account in Windows 10
Like Android has Google Play, and there's the App Store in iOS, the Microsoft Store app (formerly Windows Store) adds the ability to deliver digital content to the end user in Windows. If you sign in to Windows 10 with a Microsoft account, the OS will use it for the Store app by default. If you like, you can sign in to Microsoft Store with a different account and still use your current Microsoft account to sign in to Windows 10.
Modern UWP apps can be installed and updated with one click thanks to the My Library feature of Microsoft Store. It saves the list of apps you have installed and purchased, so you can quickly get the required app on another device you own without searching for it again in the Store. When you have signed in to the Store with your Microsoft account on a new device, you will be able to install the apps you already own (which you previously purchased from another device). Microsoft Store saves the list of your devices for that purpose. This works when you are signed in with your Microsoft Account.
If you are using a local account in Windows 10, then you are not signed in to the Store by default. By following the steps below, you can sign in to the Store with your Microsoft account and continue to use Windows 10 with your local account.
With recent Windows 10 builds, you will no longer need to be signed in to the Store with a Microsoft account to install an app from the Store. This only works in Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, or Education editions, and has the following limitations.
- Only free apps or games can be installed without a Microsoft account.
- You will need to manually reinstall all your Store apps again whenever you reinstall Windows 10.
- Some apps may rely on a Microsoft account to work properly.
Please note that the Home edition of Windows 10 still requires signing in to the Microsoft Store app with a Microsoft account before any content can be downloaded.
To Sign in to Microsoft Store with Different Account in Windows 10
- If you are already signed with a Microsoft Account, you need to sign out from the Store. Otherwise, skip to the step.
- Click on the user icon in the Store, and click on your account in the menu.
- On the next page, click on the Sign out link.
- Now, click on the user profile icon again.
- Select Sign in from the menu.
- In the next dialog, select Microsoft account under Use a different account, and click on Continue.
- Next, type any existing Microsoft Account credentials, or create a new account instead.
You are done. Windows 10 will now use a different Microsoft Account for the Store app rather than using your default account for installing and updating the apps.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: