In addition to the popular Aero Snap feature, Windows 10 supports a number of classic methods of arranging opened windows. These include the ability to cascade windows, show windows stacked and show windows side by side.
When you are using the Show windows side by side option in Windows 10, all opened non-minimized windows will be shown next to each other. They will be tiled over the Desktop, so you can see all opened windows at once. In a multimonitor configuration, this option changes the layout of windows only on the screen they are visible on. Let's see how to use this feature.
To show windows side by side in Windows 10, do the following.
- Minimize any open windows that you don't want to re-arrange side by side. Minimized windows are ignored by this function.
- Right-click an empty area of the taskbar to open its context menu. Here is how it looks.
- In the third group of commands from top, you will see the option "Show windows side by side". Click it.
This is an example of the side-by-side window layout in Windows 10.
If you clicked this context menu item accidentally, there is a quick method to undo the layout. Right click the taskbar once again and select Undo Show all windows side by side from the context menu.
Besides the classic options, you can use a number of modern window management options in Windows 10. See the following articles.
- Disable snapping in Windows 10 but keep other extended window management options
- How to enable Aero Peek in Windows 10
- Hotkeys to manage Virtual Desktops in Windows 10 (Task View)
- Ultimate list of all Windows keyboard shortcuts with Win keys
A number of users in Microsoft's forums report that the Show windows side by side feature is broken for them in Windows 10 and does not work reliably. What is your experience? Does it work for you?
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!