The Photos app is a Universal (Metro) app which comes pre-installed in Windows 10. It is a Store app which is intended to replace Windows Photo Viewer, since Microsoft wants to make the whole user environment look and work the same on Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 for PCs. While interested users can restore the classic desktop app, Windows Photo Viewer, those who prefer to use Photos might be interested in learning how to resize images with this new app.
The built-in Photos app allows viewing images and performing basic editing. Its tile is pinned to the Start menu. Also, the app is associated with most image file formats out of the box. Photos offers very basic functionality to view images from the user's local drive or from the OneDrive cloud storage.
The Photos app comes with the Resize option which allows changing the image dimensions and reduce the file size. The app provides the following 3 resize profiles:
- S - Small. Suitable for avatars and thumbnails. 0.25 MP.
- M - Medium, for email and message attachements. 2MP.
- L - Large. 4 MP images.
Here is how to use this feature.
To resize images with Photos in Windows 10, do the following.
- Open Photos. Its tile is pinned to the Start menu by default.
- Open the image file you want to resize.
- Click the three dots menu button in the top right corner.
- Select the Resize command from the menu.
- In the next dialog, you will see the current size of your image. Also, you will be able to select one of the three presets mentioned above.
- Now, browse for the folder where you want to store the resized image and click on the Save button.
- Now you can close the Photos app.
- Change Photos App Live Tile Appearance in Windows 10
- Enable Zoom with Mouse Wheel in Photos in Windows 10
- Backup and Restore Photos App options in Windows 10
- How to Tag People in Photos app in Windows 10
- Enable the Dark Theme in Photos in Windows 10
- Exclude OneDrive Images from Photos in Windows 10
- Set Photos As Screen Saver In Windows 10
- Disable Face Detection and Recognition in Photos in Windows 10
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
The options, other than custom, are grayed out for me. And trying to custom resize it horizontally, as I need it to fit in a custom space on a website, only stretches the photo out horizontally.
On my Windows 10 computer, the paint app 3 dots are to the left of a menu to crop and rotate. When I click the 3 dots, the only options are undo all (if you have edited something) or redo all.
It is frustrating to not have a resize option so I can change the aspect ratio to square and shrink to a 120 x 120 image needed for websites like Glassdoor.
I have the same problem with Paint-3d, where the web suggestions to “click the resize option” are not helpful because it is not present in the default menu.
I have tried resetting the Paint 3D app to default settings using settings -> Paint 3D -> reset to default, but it had the same behavior of no resize option.
You can do this in outlook or Excel if you have a Microsoft 360, or download an app like pixlr or fotor.