How to Remove User Account Picture From Sign-in Screen in Windows 10
By default, Windows 10 assigns a barebones user avatar for every user account with a grey background and the user represented by white curves. You can get rid of that picture and have only your user name on the sign-in screen in Windows 10.
The user picture will be visible every time you sign in with your Windows 10 account. It is also visible in the Start menu as a tiny round thumbnail.
Instead of the default image, you can use your favorite wallpaper or your real photo. If your account is a Microsoft Account, the image you set will be uploaded to Microsoft's servers and used in all their cloud services like OneDrive, Office 365 and so on. By default, it will be synced across all your devices.
However, it is not possible to remove the user picture image using the built-in options of the OS. If you manually set a transparent image as your user avatar, Windows 10 still shows a background color.
To resolve this issue, you can set a transparent picture as your user avatar without involving Settings by using the File Explorer.
We have already used the same trick to replace the default User Account picture in Windows 10.
To Remove User Account Picture From Sign-in Screen in Windows 10,
- Download this transparent user avatar image: Download the image.
- Save the ZIP file to your desktop.
- Unblock the downloaded ZIP file.
- Open File Explorer and go to the following folder:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures.
- Change the file extension for the file
user-192.pngfrom .PNG to .BAK to get
user-192.bak. Confirm the operation and the UAC request if prompted.
- Extract the transparent
user-192.pngimage from the ZIP archive you downloaded and place it to the
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Picturesfolder.
- Now, apply the default account picture to all users.
You are done! The user avatar will disappear from the sign-in screen for all users of Windows 10.
To undo the change,
- Remove the transparent image user-192.png from the folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures.
- Rename user-192.bak to user-192.png to restore the original image.
- Undo (set to not configured) the default account picture to all users.
You are done!
- Hide your email and user name from Windows 10 lock screen
- How to Replace Default User Account Picture in Windows 10
- Disable Blur on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10 with Group Policy
- How to Add a Sign-in Message in Windows 10
- Disable the Power button on the Login Screen in Windows 10
- Disable the Network icon on Lock Screen in Windows 10
- Run any app from Ease of Access button on Windows 10 login screen
- How to hide user accounts from the login screen in Windows 10
- Apply Default User Picture For All Users in Windows 10
- How to restore the default user picture avatar in Windows 10
- How to remove previously used user picture avatar images in Windows 10
- Change Lock Screen Background in Windows 10
- Change sign-in screen background image in Windows 10
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!