Recent builds of Windows 10 come with a new Clipboard History feature. It implements a cloud-powered clipboard, which allows syncing your clipboard contents and its history across devices you use with your Microsoft Account. It is possible to pin or unpin certain items of your clipboard history to the Clipboard History flyout (Win + V). Here are two methods you can use.
The Cloud Clipboard feature is officially named Clipboard History. It is powered by Microsoft's cloud infrastructure and utilizes the same technologies that made it possible to have your preferences synchronized across your devices, and your files made available everywhere with OneDrive. The company describes it as follows.
Copy paste – it’s something we all do, probably multiple times a day. But what do you do if you need to copy the same few things again and again? How do you copy content across your devices? Today we’re addressing that and taking the clipboard to the next level – simply press WIN+V and you’ll be presented with our brand-new clipboard experience!
Not only can you can paste from the clipboard history, but you can also pin the items you find yourself using all the time. This history is roamed using the same technology which powers Timeline and Sets, which means you can access your clipboard across any PC with this build of Windows or higher.
As of this writing, roamed text on the clipboard is only supported for clipboard content less than 100kb. Currently, the clipboard history supports plain text, HTML and images less than 1MB.
To Pin Items in Clipboard History in Windows 10
- Press the Win + V keys to open the Clipboard History flyout.
- Hover with the mouse pointer over the desired item.
- Click on the small "Pin" icon next to the item.
- Alternatively, select the item using Up arrow and Down arrow keyboard keys, then press the Insert key to toggle pinning or unpinning of the item.
- The item is now pinned to the Clipboard History flyout.
You are done.
In the same way you can unpin clipboard history items.
To unpin an item from the Clipboard History flyout, you can
- Hover over it with your mouse pointer and click on the "Unpin" icon on the right.
- Select it with arrow keys on the keyboard and press the Insert key to toggle pinning or unpinning of the item.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!