A new version landed in the developer channel of the Opera browser. Build 41.0.2340.0 features a number of great changes which will be welcomed by all Opera users. These include tab lazy loading, battery saving improvements and more.
As of this writing, Opera 41 is out only for the Developer branch. It features the following improvements.
Faster startup thanks to tab lazy loading.
Like the Firefox browser, Opera got the ability to postpone tab loading when you load a previous session. Until you switch to the tab, the background tab will not be loaded. Opera now gives load priority to the recent active tab along with pinned tabs. The rest of the background tabs with lowered priority will not be loaded. This improves startup performance of the browser.
Battery saving improvements
These include hardware accelerated video when the user is working with WebRTC. This requires the installed codec to have support for hardware acceleration. If the installed codec lacks support, the browser will try to limit the pixel count when on battery saving mode to reduce CPU usage.
Other interesting changes include:
- Hardware acceleration for Video Pop-out
- Improved sync, which is not backward compatible as of this writing and requires Opera 41 on every device you are trying to sync with.
- Experimental support to popular searches.
- Many changes to personal news updates, including user interface updates, navigation history and better feed discovery.
You can learn more details from the official announcement.
You can download Opera 41 Developer using the following links:
- Opera developer for Windows
- Opera developer for Mac
- Opera developer for 32-bit Linux – deb file
- Opera developer for 64-bit Linux – deb file
- Opera developer for 32-bit Linux – RPM file
- Opera developer for 64-bit Linux – RPM file
What is your opinion on these changes? Do you welcome them?
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: