This month has been full of updates for Windows 10, and Microsoft still has a few more to ship. The company released optional C patches, which are a preview of what is to come in April 2021. If your PC runs Windows 10 2004 or 20H2, you can install the April Preview updates 19041.906 or 19042.906 (KB5000842).
Do note that cumulative update previews do not contain any security fixes. Also, they are not mandatory. You can skip C and D releases altogether to avoid potential stability issues or bugs. However, if an update contains a fix for a problem you encounter, download a patch from the "Optional Quality Updates Available" section in Windows Settings.
Here what is new in April Preview updates for Windows 10 2004 and 20H2
- Updates an issue with zoom that occurs when using Microsoft Edge IE Mode on devices that use multiple high-DPI monitors.
- Updates an issue that makes high dynamic range (HDR) screens appear much darker than expected.
- Updates an issue that causes video playback to be out of sync in duplicate mode when you use multiple monitors.
- Updates an issue that displays nothing or shows “Computing Filters” indefinitely when you filter File Explorer search results.
- Updates an issue that makes the split layout unavailable for the touch keyboard when you rotate a device to portrait mode.
- Informs users when a child account in the Family Safety plan has administrative privileges.
- Updates an issue that prevents you from closing Toast Notifications using the Close button on touchscreen devices.
- Updates an issue with 7.1 channel audio technology.
- Updates an issue that causes a device to stop working if you delete files or folders that OneDrive syncs.
- The April Preview updates for Windows 10 2004 and 20H2 are now available in Windows Update. Alternatively, you can download these updates from the Windows Update Catalog. Similar updates are also available for Windows 10 1909.
All the fixes above will be part of next month's Patch Tuesday due to release on April 13, 2021. They will be available for all supported Windows 10 versions, i.e. 20H2, 2004, and 1909.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: