Microsoft is constantly improving its cloud file sharing platform and tools for collaborative work. Being part of them, OneDrive has also received a bunch of features since the beginning of this year. Here are the OneDrive features Microsoft has released in full or in preview in Q1 of 2022.
Features OneDrive received in Q1 of 2022
Files on Demand refresh for macOS
The Files on Demand capability was released in January 2022. It is powered by File Provider, a new platform by Apple that allows Finder integration with OneDrive.
In February, Microsoft updated Files on Demand with the following new features.
- Ensuring that “Always keep on this device” works like it previously did before macOS 12.1, so all content with that designation is also fetched into the OneDrive folder.
- Enabling you to sync all content locally using the Download all OneDrive files now (which closely replicates disabling Files On-Demand) or Download files as you use them (which restores the Files On-Demand experience) options.
- Improving the experience to when syncing to external drives.
Known folders on macOS
Similar to how OneDrive offers storing Desktop/Documents/Pictures etc in the cloud on Windows, it now offers the same on macOS. Microsoft introduced this option as a guarantee to back up and protect your data. Microsoft also points that OneDrive can serve as a single entry point to all your data across all your devices.
Now the OneDrive sync client runs natively on Windows ARM-based devices. Also, you can now run OneDrive sync for macOS natively on Apple silicon. Microsoft says it will greatly improve OneDrive's performance on the recent Cupertino devices.
- Microsoft has updated the "Copy link" toolbar button in the OneDrive UI. It now opens a dialog where you can customize permissions for the shared access. Earlier, it was applying default permissions directly.
- Now when you move or copy your files and folders in OneDrive or SharePoint, you’ll see a new dialog where you can choose the destination for your content.
- Users can now crop, rotate, adjust light, and color or add filter and markup to images saved in OneDrive. After editing the image, if the user wishes to save the changes, the file would be copied as a new jpg file.
- View aggregated errors in OneDrive Sync Admin Reports. There is a new "Issues View" where admins can now view an aggregated snapshot of all the errors across their organization. This feature is in public preview.
- Library Dropdown: A dropdown in OneDrive and SharePoint will allow the user to easily switch between multiple document libraries associated with a Teams team channel or a SharePoint Site.
- The Activity Center has received a refresh to more align with the Fluent Design language. It looks more of the Windows 11 style.
- Now you can organize your 'Add to OneDrive' folder shortcuts the way you want by moving them into any private folder you create in your OneDrive.
You can learn more about these additions here.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: