So, rumors where right - Microsoft today made Windows 11 version 22H2 available to everyone. The new version is dubbed as "Windows 11 2022 Update", and is available in 190+ countries.
The official announcement highlights the following improvements and new features.
- Faster and more accurate search
- Improved quick settings.
- System-wide live captions
- Enhancements to Snap layouts
- The new Focus feature
- Performance and battery optimizations
- Windows Studio Effects to improve video and audio calls: Voice Focus to filter out background noise and make sure you are heard, Background Blur so only you are seen, Eye Contact to help you make a better connection with people you’re talking to and Automatic Framing so the camera stays with you as you move. These features are powered by AI. Note that not all hardware support these effects.
- New creator tools: Clipchamp is a new inbox app to make video editing simpler with templates, effects and more.
- Additional gaming features: Auto HDR and Variable Refresh Rate on windowed games. Also, with Game Pass built right into Windows 11 through the Xbox app, players can access hundreds of high-quality PC games
- Updates to the Microsoft Store experience: Besides traditional apps, games, and movies, Microsoft Store now offers Android apps. The company expands Amazon Appstore Preview to international markets.
- Improvements to Microsoft Defender that make your computing tasks more secure.
- The new Microsoft Defender SmartScreen identifies when people are entering their Microsoft credentials into a malicious application or hacked website and alerts them.
- The app is now available on smartphones and can be managed via Microsoft 365 subscription.
- There is now the presence sensing optional feature to Windows Hello for Business, so that devices equipped with presence sensors work with Windows Hello to securely log you in when you approach and lock your device when you leave.
- Another security feature, Smart App Control, is also available for customers. Available on new Windows 11 devices or with clean installations of the Windows 11 Update 2022, Smart App Control blocks untrusted or unsigned applications, script files and malicious macros from running on Windows 11. It can predict the safety of an application in real-time before it runs on your device.
All the new features in Windows 11 2022 Update are reviewed in detail in this post:
As for Tabs in File Explorer, this feature will become available to consumers later in October. The will be some other minor improvements to inbox apps that will land in the stable version of Windows 11 22H2 later this fall.
Getting Windows 11 2022 Update
Windows 11 is now available on Windows Update for existing Windows 11 and Windows 10 users. For that, open Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > and select Check for updates. This is the recommended way to get the newest OS installed.
Alternatively, you can download the ISO image, Windows 11 Installation Assistant, or Media Creation Tool software on this page.
Before installing Windows 11 version 22H2, we recommend you to check the following posts:
- How to install Windows 11 without TPM 2.0
- How to Install Windows 11 with Local Account
- How to Install Windows 11 without an Internet Connection
Finally, you will find the official announcement here.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!