Microsoft has released a new Chromium-based build of Microsoft Edge 97.0.1069.0 to the Dev Channel. It traditionally brings with it several new features as well as various fixes and improvements.
This is the last build with major number 97 for the Dev channel, but due to the holidays, the transition to the Beta channel will take place in a couple of weeks. This is also the latest changelog for Edge Dev this year. Microsoft will continue to release Edge Dev builds in December, but their release notes will not be published.
What's new in Microsoft Edge Dev 97.0.1069.0
- Enabled support for smart history searches in the address bar. Previously, this was only available on the History management page.
- Added a management policy to control if Internet Explorer Mode Tab In Edge Mode is Allowed, which lets sites on the IE mode list be temporarily opened in a non-IE mode tab for testing purposes. Note that updates to documentation or administrative templates may not have occurred yet.
- Enabled support for a management policy from Chromium to control CORS Non-Wildcard Request Headers Support.
- Added an API to WebView2 apps to control playing media.
- Fixed an issue on Linux where certain Settings pages crash or are blank.
- Fixed a crash on the new tab page.
- Fixed a crash when certain popups open.
- Fixed a crash when showing certain menus or popups.
- Fixed a crash when interacting with certain popups.
- Fixed an issue where interactions with desktop notifications sometimes fail.
- Fixed an issue where PDFs sometimes start seeing blank white pages after scrolling for a while.
- Fixed an issue where certain types of text annotations in PDFs don’t work.
- Fixed an issue where pinned tab groups aren’t restored when the browser is re-opened.
- Fixed an issue where the mini context menu blocks UI on certain websites that have their own UI that appears upon selection.
- Fixed an issue on mobile where certain sync settings don’t work.
- Fixed an issue on mobile where website notifications don’t work.
- Fixed an issue on mobile where saving payment card info to the browser sometimes fails.
- Fixed an issue on mobile where importing data from other browsers sometimes fails.
There are also known issues. You will find them in the official announcement.
Get Edge Dev
Existing Edge Dev users will get the app update automatically in coming hours. If you want to speed up the process, then open your browser, go to Menu (Alt + F) > Settings > About Microsoft Edge section. This will make the browser to download and install updates.
You can always download it manually from the official website.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: