Microsoft has updated the stable branch of the Edge browser with version 93. It is a major update that adds new features like tab groups, the ability to hide the title bar with vertical tabs enabled, improvements for IE mode, and more. Most changes are already familiar to users of preliminary builds from the Beta, Dev and Canary channels.
The change log mentions the following updates and new features.
What's new in Microsoft Edge 93
- Initial Preferences in Microsoft Edge. Microsoft Edge now supports a limited number of Initial Preferences (formerly Master Preferences). IT admins can deploy these settings as default before the browser is run for the first time by their users.
- IE mode on Microsoft Edge will support "no-merge" behavior. For an end-user, when a new browser window is launched from an IE mode application, it will be in a separate session, similar to the no-merge behavior in IE11. You will need to adjust your site list to configure sites that need to prevent session sharing as "no-merge". Behind the scenes, for each window of Microsoft Edge, the first time an IE mode tab is visited within that window, if it is one of the designated “no-merge” sites, that window is locked into a different “no-merge” IE session from all other Microsoft Edge windows at least until the last IE mode tab is closed in that window. This follows previous behavior where users could launch IE with no-merge and could also launch Microsoft Edge without no-merge via other mechanisms. Additional information here: IE mode troubleshooting and FAQ | Microsoft Docs
- New policy to stop implicit sign in. The ImplicitSignInEnabled policy allows system administrators to disable implicit sign-in on Microsoft Edge browsers.
- Policies to bypass ClickOnce and DirectInvoke prompts. Microsoft updated the policies to enable bypassing ClickOnce's prompts and DirectInvoke's app for specified file types, from specified domains. To do this, you will need to:
- Enable ClickOnceEnabled or DirectInvokeEnabled
- Enable AutoOpenFileTypes policy and set the list of specific file types that ClickOnce and DirectInvoke should be disabled for
- Enable the AutoOpenAllowedForURLs policy and set the list of specific domains that ClickOnce and DirectInvoke will be disabled for.
Note: AutoOpenAllowedForURLs is a supporter policy for AutoOpenFileTypes. If AutoOpenAllowedForURLs is not set and AutoOpenFileTypes is set, then file types listed will automatically open from all URLs.
- Tab Groups. Microsoft has enabled Tab Groups in the stable version of the browser, so you can finally arrange tabs by a topic or domain, the way you find it convenient. See How to Enable Tab Grouping in Microsoft Edge.
- Hide the title bar while using Vertical Tabs. In Edge 93, you can open the
edge://settings/appearanceURI, and select the option to hide the title bar with vertical tabs under the Customize Toolbar section. See this post for more details.
- Video Picture in Picture (PiP) from hover toolbar. When you hover over a supported video, a toolbar will appear that allows you to view that video in a PiP window. Please note: this is currently available for Microsoft Edge users on macOS.
- Removal of 3DES in TLS. Support for the TLS_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA cipher suite will be removed. This change is happening in the Chromium project, on which Microsoft Edge is based. For more information, navigate to the Chrome Platform Status entry. Additionally, in Microsoft Edge version 93, the TripleDESEnabled policy will be available to support scenarios that need to preserve compatibility with outdated servers. This compatibility policy will become obsolete and stop working in Microsoft Edge version 95. Ensure that you update affected servers before then.
Download Microsoft Edge
The stable version of the browser is available on the following page:
The official release notes are here.
If you are interested in testing bleeding edge features and experimental options, navigate to the following page instead.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: