If the official announcement of Windows 11 version 22H2, "Windows 11 2022 Update", Microsoft actually confirmed that they will now use "Moments" to release new features and improvements more frequently. The new features will not be tied to annual major updates.
Note: However the company didn't refer to the new schedule as "Moments" officially. They use this naming as an internal codename for frequent updates with new features.
For the end user, the feature delivery mechanism will remain the same. New features and improvements will come via the Microsoft Store and cumulative updates. So consumers will receive such updates automatically. Traditionally, customers will be able to specify how and when these updates will install via Group Policy. Even more, they can completely disable these "Moment" updates.
The first phase of updates will start in October 2022. It will include the following changes:
- Enhancements to File Explorer, including bringing tabs to File Explorer to help you organize your File Explorer sessions like you do in Microsoft Edge. The new homepage in File Explorer gives you quick access to your favorite and recent files, so you can pin important files for quick and easy access – even including information at a glance of colleagues’ actions on your shared files through the power of OneDrive and personalized suggestions based on your Microsoft 365 account.
- Photos app: In an update to the Photos app in Windows 11, we will be introducing a new photos-managing experience that brings a gorgeous gallery, simplifying browsing, finding, management and consumption of your collection of photos. It also allows you to easily backup your photos with OneDrive and enjoy powerful experiences on Windows devices, and offers a delightful “Memories” experience.
- Suggested Actions on Copy: Copy phone numbers, future dates and get suggested actions such as making a call with Teams or Skype or adding an event in the Calendar app.
- Taskbar Overflow: Taskbar will offer an entry point to an overflow menu that allows you to view all your overflowed apps in one space.
- Share to more devices: Discover and share to more devices including desktops using nearby share.
According to Windows Central , the next such update is scheduled for February-March 2023. However, even Microsoft does not have a specific schedule for the release of updates, so the timing may change.
Now, following the new 3-year schedule, Windows won't receive a major update next year. Even if we get "version 23H2", it will be built on the 22H2 codebase. It may become a service pack that will include all the changes made to 22H2 within the coming year.
Microsoft is currently in the early stages of planning and developing the next major version of Windows, scheduled for 2024. At the moment, it is not known whether this update will be for Windows 11, or whether we are waiting for a new version of Windows with a different number.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: