Here's how you can make Microsoft Edge remember the pinned state for Downloads, Favorites, Collections and History pop-up flyouts.
Recently, Microsoft introduced the pop-up flyouts for Favorites, Collections, Downloads and History in the Edge app. They now appear as menus. Edge allows pinning them, so they will remain visible all the time. There only problem that the browser didn't remember the pinned state for flyouts, so they used to disappear after you restart Edge. This issues has been finally addressed.
Latest Canary builds of the browser has got a new option. There is a special flag that makes Microsoft Edge to remember if you have pinned a pop-up menu. E.g. if you pin Downloads, next time you open Edge it will display them pinned.
This is a pleasant change for many users. Eventually this option will become enabled by default and then will reach the Stable version of the Edge browser. But at the moment of this writing it is only available in Edge Canary in build 92.0.874.0 and above.
This post will show you how to make Microsoft Edge remember the pinned state for Downloads, Favorites, Collections and History pop-up flyouts. If you are running a Canary build of Edge, ensure that you have the latest one. Just open
edge://settings/help to check its version and update it.
How to Make Microsoft Edge remember pinned state for Downloads, Favorites and History
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Type or copy-paste the
edge://flags/#edge-hub-pin-persistinto the address bar, and hit the Enter key.
- Select one of the following options below for the Persist pin state for menus drop-down setting.
- Default (same as disabled)
- Enabled Show unpin button
- Enabled Show unpin and close buttons
- Enabled Add menu option to always open pinned
- Click on the Restart button to apply the change.
You are done. You can now close the Experiments tab.
Here are some details on how the above options work.
Persist Pin State options for Edge menus
- Default - The default setting provided by Microsoft
- Enabled - Since the menus are already enabled, the setting does nothing.
- Enabled Show unpin button - If you activate this function, it replaces the close button in the pane with an unpin button. To close the pane without unpin it, you have to click on the Favorite/Collections/Downloads/etc icon in the toolbar.
- Enabled Show unpin and close button - adds an unpin button next to the close button in the pane.
- Enabled Add menu option to always open pinned - Adds an option in the elipsis menu so that the Favorites and Collections menus always open pinned. Enabling this setting will cause Favorites or Collections to always open as a pinned pane until you disable this setting.
- Disabled - shows no effect here in the experiment.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: