Microsoft Edge is the default web browser app in Windows 10. It's a Universal (UWP) app which has extension support, a fast rendering engine and a simplified user interface. Starting with Windows 10 build 17713, the browser allows the user to look up definitions for selected words in Reading View, Books, and PDFs thanks to the new dictionary function added to it.
Microsoft Edge comes with Reader mode, which might be familiar to Firefox and Vivaldi users. When enabled, it strips out unnecessary elements from the opened web page, reflows the text and turns it into a cleaner looking text document without ads, menus and scripts, so the user can focus on reading the text content. Edge also renders the text on the page with a new font and formatting in Reader mode.
With Reading View, Microsoft Edge provides a new, consistent, more powerful experience across all your documents, whether they’re EPUB or PDF books, documents, or web pages. The feature utilizes Fluent Design System elements like motion and Acrylic material to provide a fluid, delightful experience that keeps the focus on the page.
To lookup definitions for words in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10, do the following.
- Open the desired web site in Microsoft Edge.
- Enable the Reading View feature.
- Select (highlight) the word you want to lookup its definition.
- You will now see the definition popup next to your selection.
- Can click on the speaker icon to make Edge read aloud the selected word.
- The more link opens a flyout with extra details for the definition of the selected word.
Note: You can toggle whether definitions appear and which types of content they work in under the “General” tab of the Microsoft Edge settings menu.
- How To Install and Use Grammar Tools in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Line Focus in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10
- Print Web Pages Clutter-Free in Microsoft Edge
- Run Microsoft Edge in Private Mode
- Read Aloud in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
- Set Tabs Aside in Microsoft Edge (Tab Groups)
- How to Enable Full Screen Mode in Edge
- Export Favorites to a File in Edge
- How To Disable PDF Reader in Microsoft Edge
- How To Annotate EPUB Books in Microsoft Edge
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: