You can sign-in in Windows 10 using your user account automatically. After that, you won't have to type your password or pick a user from the login screen. Instead, you will see your Desktop directly. There are two methods to configure this feature.
When you are signing in with a password protected account in Windows 10, it requires a password to be entered by the user. To save your time and speed up the logon process, you might want to enable automatic logon for your user account.
To sign-in automatically to a user account in Windows 10, do the following.
- Press the Win + R keys on the keyboard. The Run dialog will appear on the screen. Enter the following command in the Run box:
- The User Accounts dialog will be opened. Find your user account and select it in the list:
- Untick the checkbox called Users must enter a user name and password to use this PC and click the Apply button.
- The Automatically sign in prompt will appear.
Type your password twice and you are done!
This procedure is applicable to the Microsoft account as well.
To restore defaults, run netplwiz again and tick the 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this PC' checkbox. The next time you log on, you will be asked for the password again.
Sign-in Automatically to a User Account after applying a Registry tweak
Warning: This method is a legacy way to configure auto login. It was available in previous versions of Windows NT and is not secure today. It requires storing the unencrypted password in the Registry which can be read by third party software and other users! Do not use this method unless you know what you are doing.
- Open the Registry Editor app.
- Go to the following Registry key.
See how to go to a Registry key with one click.
- On the right, modify or create a new string (REG_SZ) value "AutoAdminLogon". Set it to 1.
- Create or modify a new string value "DefaultUserName" and type the user name to sign-in automatically with.
- Create here a new string value "DefaultPassword". Type the password of the user account from the previous step.
To disable the automatic login enabled with this method, delete the DefaultPassword value and set AutoAdminLogon to 0.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: