Microsoft has released KB4576754, a new update that force installs the Edge browser in Windows 10 version 2004 and older releases. Similar to KB4559309, after installing the above patch Microsoft Edge appears installed and pinned to the taskbar, and the uninstall button is grayed out in the list of installed apps.
Earlier, Microsoft has released the Edge browser to users of Windows 10 version 1803 and above using the same method. Now, the released KB456754 targets Windows 10, version 1809, 1903, 1909, and 2004.
The patch KB456754 is released as a quality update, so it will be installed automatically. After that, the classic Edge will become inaccessible, and you will no longer be able to uninstall the Chromium-based version of the browser. Check out the following workaround if you need to uninstall it:
Uninstall Microsoft Edge If Uninstall Button is Grayed Out
KB456754 comes with the following change log.
What's new in KB456754
- Start menu pins, tiles, and shortcuts for the current version of Microsoft Edge will migrate to the new Microsoft Edge.
- Taskbar pins and shortcuts for the current version of Microsoft Edge will migrate to the new Microsoft Edge.
- The new Microsoft Edge will be pinned to the taskbar. If the current version of Microsoft Edge is already pinned, it will be replaced.
- The new Microsoft Edge will add a shortcut to the desktop. If the current version of Microsoft Edge already has a shortcut, it will be replaced.
- By default, most protocols that Microsoft Edge handles will be migrated to the new Microsoft Edge.
- The current version of Microsoft Edge will be hidden from UX surfaces in the OS. This includes settings, applications, and any file or protocol support dialog boxes.
- Trying to start the current version of Microsoft Edge will redirect to the new Microsoft Edge.
- The First Run Experience (FRE) will auto-launch the first time that a device restarts after the new Microsoft Edge is installed. This does not occur on devices joined to a Domain, Active Directory, Azure AD or on Windows 10 Enterprise and Surface Hub Editions.
- Data from earlier versions of Microsoft Edge (such as passwords, favorites, open tabs) will be available in the new Microsoft Edge.
- The new Microsoft Edge does not support the removal of this update.
Actual Edge Versions
- Stable Channel: 85.0.564.51
- Beta Channel: 86.0.622.15
- Dev Channel: 87.0.634.0
- Canary Channel: 87.0.640.0
Download Microsoft Edge
You can download pre-release Edge version for Insiders from here:
Download Microsoft Edge Insider Preview
The stable version of the browser is available on the following page:
Download Microsoft Edge Stable
Note: Microsoft has started delivering Microsoft Edge to users of Windows via Windows Update. The update is provisioned for users of Windows 10 version 1803 and above, and replaces the classic Edge app once installed. The browser, when delivered with KB4559309, makes it impossible to uninstall it from Settings. Check out the following workaround: Uninstall Microsoft Edge If Uninstall Button is Grayed Out
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!