Along with language packs, Microsoft has made fonts available in the Store. This will allow users to download them exactly the same way they download games and apps. Today, we will see how it can be done.
Starting with build 17083, Windows 10 features a special section in the Settings app. The new section, called simply "Fonts", can be found under Personalization.
You may be familiar with the classic Fonts Control Panel applet, which you could use to see the fonts that are currently installed, or to install or uninstall fonts. Instead of the classic applet, recent releases of Windows 10 offer the Fonts page in Settings, which is able to show off newer font capabilities, such as color fonts or variable fonts. A refresh of the Fonts UI to show off the newer capabilities was long overdue.
In Settings, a dedicated page for Fonts settings provides a short preview of each font family. The previews use a variety of interesting strings that are selected to match the primary languages that each font family is designed for, together with your own language settings. And if a font has multi-color capabilities built into it, then the preview will demonstrate this.
To install a new font, recent releases of Windows 10 offer new functionality. With a couple of clicks, you can easily install fonts from the Store.
To install fonts from Microsoft Store, do the following.
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to Personalization -> Fonts.
- On the right, click on the link Get more fonts in the Store.
- The Microsoft Store app will open in the Store.
Click on the desired font.
- On the next page, click on the Get button.
You just installed a new font.
Alternatively, you can launch the Microsoft Store app directly and look for available fonts there.
Find fonts in the Microsoft Store
- Open the Store app.
- Type fonts in the search box.
- Select Apps under the Departments drop down box.
- Under Category, select Personalization.
- This will show the list of available fonts in the Store.
- Click on the font to see its details.
- Click on the Get button to install it.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: