Once you download files from the Internet, Windows 10 shows you a security warning every time you try to open it. Some file types are blocked from opening. SmartScreen, a security feature of Windows 10, causes such behavior. Let's see how to unblock those files.
When you try to open a file which was downloaded from the Internet, you can see a warning like this:
To get rid of it, you need to do the following:
- Right click the file in File Explorer.
- In the context menu, select the last item named "Properties".
- In the Properties dialog, on the General tab, tick the checkbox named "Unblock":
After that, the security warning will disappear.
This is very useful when you need to unblock just one file. In the situation when you need to unblock several files at once, it is impractical to right click on every file, and open its Properties to unblock it.
Using PowerShell, it is posssible unblock multiple files at once in any given folder. It can be done as follows:
- Press Win + R on the keyboard to open the Run dialog.
- In the Run box, type powershell:
- In the PowerShell console, type the following command:
get-childitem "C:\Users\winaero\Downloads" | unblock-file
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: