If you forgot the password for your Windows account and are unable to log in using any other account, then this article will definitely be useful for you. Today, we will see how to reset the account password in Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 without using third party tools. All we need is bootable media with Windows Setup. The instructions are applicable to all mentioned versions of Windows. Also, you can reset Windows 7 password using Windows 8 boot disk and vice versa. Follow the instructions below.
You need to use the Windows setup disk with the appropriate architecture - 32-bit or 64-bit depending on which Windows you have installed. To create a bootable USB disk, see this article: How to create a bootable USB stick to install Windows in Windows 8 or Windows 7
- If you have Windows 7 x86, use Windows 7 x86 or Windows 8 x86 setup disk
- In case you have Windows 7 x64, use Windows 7 x64 or Windows 8 x64 setup disk
- If you have Windows 8 x86, use Windows 7 x86 or Windows 8 x86 setup disk
- In case you have Windows 8 x64, use Windows 7 x64 or Windows 8 x64 setup disk
If you are not able to boot from DVD media, that is, your PC does not have an optical drive, you can create a bootable flash drive.
- Boot from the Windows installation disk/USB stick with Windows setup.
- Wait for the "Windows Setup" screen:
- Press Shift + F10 keys together on the keyboard. This will open the command prompt window:
- In the command prompt, type regedit and press the Enter key. This will open Registry Editor.
- Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key on the left.
After you select it, run the File -> Load Hive... menu command. See more details here: How to access the registry of another user or another OS.
- In the load hive dialog, select the following file:
Replace the DRIVE part with the letter of the drive where your Windows installation is located. Usually it is drive D:.
- Enter any desired name for the hive you are loading. For example, I gave it a name 111:
- Go to the following key:
Edit the cmdline parameter and set it to cmd.exe
Change the SetupType DWORD parameter value to 2.
- Now select 111 on the left and run the File -> Unload hive menu item in Regedit. Close Registry Editor and all open windows. Your PC will be rebooted.
- Eject your bootable media and boot from your PC's local drive. The screen will look like this:
- Type the following command in the opened command prompt:
- To set a new password for your Windows account, type the following command:
net user login new_password
If your login name contains spaces, type it as follows:
net user "your login" new_password
- That's it. Close the command prompt window to continue.
You are done! Windows will show the login screen, and you will be able to sign in using the password you just set!
All credits go to our friend "Morpheus" for sharing this incredible tip.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
15 thoughts on “How to reset the account password in Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 without using third party tools”
thanks! i need that just in case i forgot my password in the future
you are welcome, Phil
Awful trick! I usually use PCUnlocker Live CD to reset lost Windows password. I’ll try your trick on my virtual machine later. Thanks for sharing!
You are welcome
I performed this on a wimboot UEFI tablet using a WIn8.1 install USB stick created from the Microsoft Link.
Once that work was done, I was able to reset my forgotten password in less than 5 min.
You saved me a complete reset!
Now select 111 on the left and run the File -> Unload hive menu item in Regedit. Close Registry Editor and all open windows. Your PC will be rebooted.
and ? i remove and same thing windwos boot the windows.. stupid step.
To Morpheus and the article writer: I love U PPL!! This saved me countless hours reinstalling the Windows 10 preview after an upgrade to the latest build decided to corrupt the password and hence lock me out.. This worked a treat on WinX build 10130 abd just saved me days and gigs of updates reinstalling. Thanks!!!!!
You are welcome.
A simple and effective solution.
I unlocked an Acer P3 tablet running Win8 using WinPE offline reg editor.
Painful journey but worth it. Does this also work for Vista / Win 7 ?
It should work.
Vista was not much different from 7.
Srsly, you are the man. I tried many methods and all fell short in various places. This was ‘cleaner’ than the rest and worked amazingly. Thx much.
Works fine here.
You are welcome
I suppose I am doing something wrong. My friends son died as the result of an automobile accident 14 months ago.They just recently received the computer. I got into the regist. and could open HKLM but did not have option to load hive.That was greyed out. Kon-Boot nor Hirans Boot CD would unlock it either. I figure probably the dead sons’ spirit doesn’t want anyone seeing what is on the HD. ?? I enjoyed reading your posts,and I’m sure if pass word was only problem ,it would have unlocked. jwe