You can perform a repair install of Windows 11 with an In-place Upgrade if you have some problems with Windows 11 that can't be fixed with regular troubleshooting solutions. By doing In-place Upgrade, you won't lose your data, including user accounts, personal data, and installed apps.
Before proceeding, you need to know the following.
- You can only perform Windows 11 In-place Upgrade from within the running OS. E.g. you can repair install Windows 11 from a running Window 11 instance. This won't work from Safe Mode or UEFI.
- You need a bootable media or an ISO file. with the same edition, version and build number (or higher) of the OS.
- Your installation media should support the same language as the OS you want to repair.
This post will show you how to perform a repair install of Windows 11 by doing an in-place upgrade without losing your data.
Repair Install Windows 11 with In-place Upgrade
- Disable your antivirus software if you are using a third-party solution. You shouldn't disable the built-in Windows Defender app.
- Disable or suspend BitLocker for your system drive if you have it encrypted.
- Double-click your ISO file, or insert your USB drive, and click on the
- You may be prompted by User Account Control. Click on Yes if so.
- In the Install Windows 11 dialog, click on Change how Setup downloads updates.
- Select Not right now. This will save you from downloading a new build (if available). Click Next.
- Setup will check your PC and show a license agreement. Click on Accept in the license terms dialog.
- Wait for the setup program to check for the available free space.
- On the Ready to install page, click the Change what to keep link.
- Now, you can select Keep personal files and apps, Keep personal files only, and Nothing. Also, Nothing is the only option that will be available if your installation media doesn't match the installed Windows 11 version or language. Note: It is safe to close the setup wizard at this step and cancel the repair install process. Otherwise, you won't be able to cancel it later. Finally, click Next.
- Click on Install to start the repair install of Windows 11.
Done! Windows 11 will restart your device several times, and lead you to the lock screen. Depending on the options you set, it will keep all your files, apps, and user accounts.
Sign in with your credentials to get to your desktop.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!