You can pause updates in Windows 11 if you want to temporarily stop the OS from receiving latest patches, drivers, and cumulative releases. The number of days for which you can suspend Windows Updates differs for Insiders and regular users.
If you are running an Insider Preview build of Windows 11, you can pause updates for 7 days. Users of regular stable releases can suspend updates for up to 35 days. After that period of time, the operating system will automatically resume downloading and installing updates.
Keep in mind that some updates, like Microsoft Defender anti-virus definitions, will continue to be downloaded and installed when updates are paused.
When Windows auto-resumes updates, your device must install recent updates before it can be paused again.
This post will show you how to pause and resume updates in Windows 11.
Pause Updates in Windows 11
- Open Windows Settings with the Win + I shortcut.
- Click on the Windows Update on the left.
- On the right side, click on the one of the following available actions.
- Click on Pause for 1 week button.
- Or, click on the drop-down menu arrow button and select Pause for <N> weeks.
- Click on Extend for 1 week button.
- Click on the drop-down menu arrow button, and select an Extend for <N> weeks option.
- You just paused Windows Update on Windows 11. You can now close the Settings app.
Finally, you can resume paused updates at any moment of time. For that, you need to open the Settings app again and visit Windows Update settings.
Resume Updates for Windows 11
- Open Settings (Win + I).
- Navigate to the Windows Update section.
- Click on the Resume updates button on the right.
- Windows 11 will instantly check for updates.
- Wait for the end of the update check and close the Settings app.
After you follow the above steps, Windows 11 will continue to receive fixes, patches, drivers and other updates. You can pause them again at any moment later.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!