Windows 8.1 shows you a list of all user accounts available on your PC on the logon screen. You can click the user avatar, enter the password if it is necessary, and login using the provided credentials. Did you know that it is possible to hide a specific user from this list, so the account becomes hidden. Nobody will be able to see that you have such a user account. This can be done with a simple registry tweak, which I will cover in this article.
Before you proceed, you need to know the following: if you hide all your accounts you will not be able to sign in until you enable the Administrator account using the Windows installation DVD or recovery disc.
Alternatively, you might want to make Windows 10 ask for user name and password during log on.
To hide a specific user from the login screen, you need to do the following steps:
- Right click This PC icon in File Explorer and choose Manage from its context menu.
- Under Computer Management -> System Tools, select the item Local Users and Groups. Double click Users.
Note the value of the first column, "Name". By default, Windows shows the "Full Name" value on the login screen, but we need the actual login name.
- Next, open Registry Editor.
- Go to the following Registry key:
Tip: You can access any desired Registry key with one click.
- Create a new subkey here called SpecialAccounts.
- Now create a key named UserList under the SpecialAccounts key. You should get the following path:
- Create a new DWORD value in the UserList subkey. Use the login name which you noted earlier in Local Users and Groups as the name of the new value you just created. Do not modify its default value, leave it at 0. You should get something like this:
This is all you need to do. If you done everything properly, the account will disappear from the logon screen.
To show that account again, just delete the DWORD value you created earlier under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList Registry key.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: