Here is how you can enable dark mode in Windows 11 and switch from the default white theme to the dark one and vice versa.
Windows 11 uses a light theme by default, and it does not yet provide an option to switch modes automatically. Unlike Windows, macOS supports automatic theme switching tied to sunset and sunrise. Users will have to manually enable dark mode in Windows 11 until Microsoft adds similar macOS capabilities to the new OS. Still, some third-party apps can automate the process. Plus, you can add theme switching options to the context menu. Latter will let you switch themes in Windows 11 almost with a single click without opening Windows Settings.
Finally, some users may not need automatic theme switching. If you want to keep dark mode all the time, this article will show you how to the dark theme in Windows 11.
Windows 11 retained the idea behind themes and app modes in Windows 10. You can select a light or dark theme for apps and the OS separately or together. It allows you to set, for example, a dark taskbar and light apps or vice versa.
Enable Dark Mode in Windows 11
- Press Win + I to open Windows Settings.
- Go to the Personalization > Color. Note that the Themes section manages different things, and it has nothing to do with a dark and white theme in Windows 11.
- Find the Choose your color option and select Dark from the drop-down list to enable dark mode in Windows 11. If you want to create a custom theme, choose Custom.
That is how you turn on dark mode in Windows 11.
With a simple tweak, you can add a theme switcher to context menus in Windows 11. It will allow you to switch from white to dark mode in Windows 11 with a single click.
- Download registry files in a ZIP archive using this link.
- Unpack the archive to any preferred folder. Unblock the files if needed.
- Double-click add-app-mode-context-menu.reg and confirm changes.
- Double-click add-windows-mode-context-menu.reg and confirm changes.
- Now right-click the desktop and select Show more options.
- At the top of the context menu, you will find two new options: App Mode and Windows Mode. These allow you to switch between dark and light modes in Windows 11.
You can also use Winaero Tweaker to add previously mentioned options to the context menu.
- Install Winaero Tweaker using this link, then launch the app.
- Go to Context Menus > App Mode.
- Place a checkmark next to App Mode Desktop Shortcut and Windows Mode Desktop Shortcut.
- Close the app, right-click the desktop, and select Show More options.
Automatically change themes in Windows 11 on sunset and sunrise
As we mentioned before, Windows 11 currently does not have an option to switch modes automatically. If you want to disable dark mode on sunrise and enable dark mode on sunset in Windows 11, you need a free third-party tool Windows Auto Dark Mode. Note that the app also works in Windows 10.
- Download Windows Auto Dark Mode from the official GitHub repository.
- Launch the app and place a checkmark next to Enable automatic theme switching.
- Select From sunset to sunrise or Use custom hours. If you use the first option, the app allows you to set time for light and dark modes separately.
- Wait for the app to detect your time zone and get the information about sunset and sunrise for your current location.
- Go to the Apps section and select modes for Windows and apps. Use the Adapt to system option for automatic theme switching.
That is it.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!