In Windows 10 when you adjust the volume, a volume pop-up, also know as media volume control overlay, appears in the top left corner of the screen. It is well integrated with recent Chrome and Edge versions and allows you to pause a YouTube video or switch to the next entry in the playlist.Google Chrome 75 introduces a new feature that allows using media keys on the keyboard to control the media content playback in the browser. When enabled, it allows using the Volume Up, Volume Down, or Mute media keys, you will see a special toast notification with buttons that you can use to control media playback.
The following screenshot demonstrates the media notification toast:
This useful feature is available in Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge Chromium.
However, plenty of users find this media volume overlay annoying for its big size and long display time. Also, it is not clear how to dismiss it. The pop-up should automatically dismiss after a few seconds. However, sometimes it remains visible for too long, and its display time increases if you hover over it with your mouse pointer.
To Dismiss Windows 10 Media Volume Control Pop-up,
click on the app name. In this case, it is "chrome.exe".
For a media overlay which includes the album art or an artist photo, you can click on the artist name or on the album art to dismiss the popup.
Finally, if you are not happy to see this media overlay, it can be disabled with a special flag in modern chromium-based browsers.
To Disable Media Volume Control Pop-up,
- Open the Google Chrome browser and type the following text in the address bar:
This will open the flags page directly with the relevant setting.
- Select the option Disable from the drop-down list next to the 'Hardware Media Key Handling' line.
- Restart Google Chrome by closing it manually or you can also use the Relaunch button which will appear at the very bottom of the page.
- You are done.
- Enable Volume Control and Media Key Handling in Google Chrome
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Includes YouTube Video Info in Volume Control OSD
Thanks to Albacore.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: