Here is how to disable notification sounds in Windows 11. Windows 11 has an extensive notification customization system that lets you personalize all sorts of settings according to your needs and taste. If some app has too annoying notification chimes or you want to reduce distraction, disabling notification sounds in Windows 11 may help a lot.
Tip: We have a dedicated article that describes how to permanently turn off notifications in Windows 11. It is also worth mentioning that you can mute notifications in Windows 11 using the Focus Assist feature (do not disturb).
Disable notification sounds in Windows 11
- Right-click the Start menu button and select Settings. You can also press Win + I to launch the Settings app.
- Open the System section and click Notifications.
- Click the arrow-down button next to the Notifications toggle.
- Uncheck the Allow notifications to play sounds option.
You are done. Windows will no longer play sounds when sending you notifications.
Instead of disabling all notifications at once, you can disable them for individual apps. Here's how.
Disable notification sounds for individual apps
To disable notifications for individual apps in Windows 11, do the following.
- Press Win + I to launch the Windows Settings app.
- Go to System > Notifications.
- Find the app for which you want to disable notification sounds in Windows 11 and click on its row.
- Toggle off the Play a sound when a notification arrives option.
Done! Note: Some apps use their own notification systems, which mostly apply to older win32-apps non-optimized for modern versions of Windows.
Such applications do not show up in the notification settings inside the Windows Settings app. If you cannot find the app you need, check the settings inside the program. It may also be possible that the app has no dedicated option for disabling notification chimes.
Finally, you can get rid of all notification sounds in Windows 11 by simply disabling the system sounds for all events or for only the notification event.
Disable the Sound for the Notification Event in Windows 11
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to the Personalization section and click Themes.
- Click the Sounds button.
- In Sound dialog window, scroll down to the Notification event.
- Select (None) for the event to disable notification sounds.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Tip: You can also disable all Windows sounds at once by selecting No Sounds from the drop-down menu for the current sound scheme. See the following screenshot.
Note: If an app uses custom notification sounds, or it has them implemented in some non-standard way, disabling Windows sounds will not mute it.
Finally, you can simply change the sound level for Windows 11 notifications to zero from the volume mixer.
How to mute notification sounds in Windows 11
- Click the sound icon in the taskbar to open the mixer.
- In the flyout that opens, find the slider for notifications. It looks as follows.
- Move it is the most left position to mute notification sounds.
That is it. Now you know how to disable notification sounds in Windows 11.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!