You can disable Microsoft Edge tabs in the Alt+Tab dialog in Windows 11 if you don't like this behavior. By default, Alt+Tab adds 5 most recent tabs open in Microsoft Edge to app thumbnails when you switch between windows.
This behavior is not new to Windows 11. Microsoft was first implemented it in Windows 10 version 20H2. Since then, the Redmond software giant keeps it enabled in all Windows versions.
Some users never liked to see individual Edge tabs when switching between apps. Luckily, Alt+Tab allows customizing what it shows. You can make it show
- Open windows and all tabs in Microsoft Edge
- Open windows and 5 most recent tabs in Microsoft Edge
- Open windows and 3 most recent tabs in Microsoft Edge
- Open windows only
Let's see how to change the Alt+Tab dialog contents in Windows 11.
Disable Edge Tabs in the Alt+Tab Dialog
To disable Microsoft Edge Tabs in Alt+Tab on Windows 11, do the following.
- Press Win + I to open the Settings app.
- Click on System on the left, then click on Multitasking on the right side.
- On the next page, click the drop down menu in the Alt + Tab section.
- Select Open windows only to remove all Edge tabs from the window selection dialog.
You are done! Microsoft Edge tabs will no longer be listen in Alt+Tab. Otherwise, you can select any other option that fits your workflow.
Alternatively, you can configure the Alt+Tab dialog in the Registry. This method comes in handy when the Settings app is not accessible, or when you need to deploy your preferences between multiple computers.
Remove Edge Tabs from Alt+Tab with a Registry tweak
- Press Win + R to open the Run dialog, type
regeditand press Enter to open the Registry editor.
- Navigate to the
- To the right of the Advanced key, create or modify the 32-bit DWORD value MultiTaskingAltTabFilter.
- Set its value data to 3 to remove Edge tabs from Alt + Tab.
- You can also set it to one of the following values.
- 0 = Show open windows and all tabs in Microsoft Edge
- 1 = Show Open windows and 5 most recent tabs in Microsoft Edge
- 2 = Show Open windows and 3 most recent Edge tabs
To save your time, you can download the following Registry files.
Download Registry Files
Download this ZIP archive and extract the included REG files to any folder of your choice.
Now, double-click on one of the following files that implement the Alt + Tab behavior you want to enable.
- Show open windows only.reg
- Show open windows and 3 most recent tabs in Microsoft Edge.reg
- Show open windows and 5 most recent tabs in Microsoft Edge.reg
- Show open windows and all tabs in Microsoft Edge.reg
If prompted by the User Account Control, click Yes to modify the Registry.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!
10 thoughts on “How to Disable Microsoft Edge Tabs in Alt+Tab on Windows 11”
I LOVE YOU!!!!!
You are welcome!
Perfect – thank you for writing this. I get the feature in theory, but more often than not it just gets in the way.
it worked, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In W11 the ALT-Tab menu is different to the one described here.
The menu option is labelled “Don’t show tabs”
Thank you for the info, this directed me to the right place. Only thing though, the info provided in the current page is slightly outdated. The new one is replacing it on “Show tabs from apps when snapping or pressing Alt+Tab”. On the dropdown menu, choose “Don’t show tabs”.