Here's how to disable Centered Taskbar in Windows 11 if you are not happy with the default layout and want to restore the classic taskbar appearance. One of the things you immediately notice after upgrading Windows 10 to Windows 11 is a dramatically changed taskbar.
Windows 11 now keeps all the pinned and open apps aligned at the center, not at the left, as it has been for several decades. On Windows 10, you can move apps from the left to the center of the taskbar using some third-party apps, such as TaskbarX or similar. In Windows 11, Microsoft has made centered taskbar a new default.
A new centered taskbar in Windows 11 has some significant benefits. For example, it is not easier to reach apps on large displays. Moreover, those switching from macOS to Windows 11 will find it easier to get accustomed to the new environment. At the same time, it is not difficult to understand why some users hate the centered icon layout in Windows 11. For example, many need to retrain "muscle memory." Also, the Start button now moves depending on how many apps you have pinned or open.
As usual, such drastic changes to the taskbar and the Start menu/button cause user’s backlash. Luckily, Microsoft gives you an option to move apps on the taskbar from the center to the left without additional tools. Here is how to do that.
If you want to move icons on the taskbar from the center to the left, do the following.
Disable Centered Taskbar in Windows 11
- Press Win + I to open Windows Settings. You can also open Start and select Settings.
- Go to the Personalization section.
- Click Taskbar in the left panel.
- On the right, click the Taskbar behaviors item.
- Locate the Taskbar alignment option at the top of the list.
- From a drop-down menu, select Left. Windows 11 will automatically move icons on the taskbar from the center to the left, giving it a more traditional look.
That is how you align icons at the left in Windows 11. Similarly, you can undo the change.
How to center taskbar icons in Windows 11
You no longer need a third-party app to center apps on the taskbar in Windows 11. Simply repeat the process above to restore the default look in Windows 11.
- Open Windows Settings.
- Go to Personalization > Taskbar > Taskbar Alignment.
- Select Centered.
- Windows 11 will re-arrange app icons to the taskbar center.You do not need to confirm changes, restart Windows Explorer, or sign out of your profile. Windows 11 will move apps from the left to the center right away.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: