Previously, we covered a number of tricks to get rid of Skype ads. Since then, Skype has been updated. Here is an extended version of the tutorial with additional info applicable to the recent Skype version.
Our previous article "How to disable ads in Skype's chat window" comes with all the required information to disable ads in Skype's chat window. However, in version 7 Skype continues to show a placeholder in place of ads. In this article, we will see how to block ads and remove the placeholder in Skype 7 and above.
This is how Skype 7 looks like out-of-the-box:
When maximized, it shows even more ads:
Disable Skype ads
To disable them, do the following.
- Go to Control Panel (see all ways to open Control Panel).
- Locate and open Control Panel\Network and Internet\Internet Options item.
- Switch to the Security tab.
- Click on the 'Restricted sites' icon and click the Sites button:
The 'Restricted sites' dialog will appear on the screen.
- Type the following into the text box and then press the Add button:
- Close Internet Options and restart Skype.
However, this is not an issue, since it is useless and does not provide any particularly useful feature. All the other features of Skype work as expected.
Remove Skype ad placeholders
To get rid of ad placeholders, do the following.
- Quit Skype.
- Open your Skype profile folder. It can be accessed by pressing Win + R hotkeys and typing the following in the Run box:
- Locate the folder with your profile ID. In my case it is "Sergey.Tkachenko":
- Inside that folder, you will find a file called config.xml. Open it with Notepad:
- Find the line which contains this text:
- Change its value from this:
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: