Here is how to change how long notifications stay on the screen in Windows 11. Windows 11 keeps notifications on your display for 5 seconds by default. After that, the operating system moves notifications to the notification center, unless it is an important notification that requires action, such as an update prompt, alarm, or reminder.
Some people might want to change that due to their personal preferences or physical limitations. Fortunately, it is very easy to change how long Windows 11 displays notifications on the screen.
Change how long notifications stay on the screen in Windows 11
You can customize how long notifications stay on the screen in Windows 11 using the Settings app, Control Panel, and Registry Editor. The changes affect only the current user account. Let's review these methods.
Change how long notifications stay in Settings
- Press Win + I or right-click the Start menu button and select Settings. You can also open the Settings app in Windows 11 using other methods.
- Go to Accessibility and click the Visual effects section.
- Find the "Dismiss notifications after this amount of time" option and pick another option from 5 seconds to 5 minutes.
You are done.
So, the default value is 5 seconds, but you can make Windows 11 keep notifications on the screen for up to 5 minutes. Just keep in mind that you can not set Windows 11 notifications to stay on the monitor for less than 5 seconds.
That is how you change how long notifications stay on the screen in Windows 11 using the Settings app. No need to restart the shell, computer, save changes manually, etc. Windows will apply the changes immediately.
Set notification time-out in Windows 11 using the classic Control Panel
New Windows 11 users who come from Windows 8 and earlier versions might prefer the classic Control Panel for changing various settings. Although some options are no longer available in Control Panel since Windows 10, you can still change how long notifications stay on the screen in Windows 11 using the classic Control Panel. Here is how to do that.
To set notification timeout in Windows 11, do the following.
- Press Win + R and enter the
- In Control Panel, go to Ease of Access > Ease of Access Center.
- Click the "Use the computer without a display" link.
- On the next screen, find the "Adjust time limits and flashing visuals" section.
- Pick a new option from a drop-down list. Again, you can select a timeout between 5 seconds and 5 minutes.
- Click OK to apply the changes.
Done! Finally, there is a Registry tweak that you can use to configure the display notification timeout in Windows 11. Here we go.
Change notification display duration in Windows 11 using Registry Editor
Finally, here is the most complicated way to change how long Windows 11 displays notifications. You can adjust the setting by changing a registry key manually or with ready-to-use REG files.
To change notification display duration in the Registry, do the following.
- Press Win + R and enter
regedit. That command opens Windows Registry Editor.
- Go to the following path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility.
- Find the MessageDuration value and double-click it.
- Switch the Base option from Hexadecimal to Decimal.
- Specify a new value data in seconds. The minimum value is 5 seconds (default), and the maximum is 300 (5 minutes).
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Finally, restart Explorer, sign out and sign back in, or restart the computer.
Note: You cannot set the MessageDuration value lower than 5 or above 300. Windows 11 will simply ignore these out-of-range values.
That is how you change how long Windows 11 keeps notifications on the screen.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!