Google Chrome 81 is available for download and update. The most popular web browser features a number of improvements and new features. Also, the release is notable for the complete removal of FTP from Chrome's code base. You can't use Chrome for browsing FTP resources any more.
Google Chrome is the most popular web browser which exists for all major platforms like Windows, Android and Linux. It comes with a powerful rendering engine which supports all modern web standards.
Here are the key changes in Chrome 81
Safety and security
Starting in Chrome 80, the browser will automatically change resource links (e.g. for images, scripts, iframes, sounds, and videos) from
https for web pages opened via
HTTPS. If a resource is not available via https, it will now be blocked. It is still possible to unblock such resources manually from the lock icon in the address bar.
Also, Chrome will now show a warning if you enter a password on a known compromised web site.
The FTP code has been completely removed from the browser's code base. You can no longer use Chrome for browsing FTP sites. Google recommends you to use external FTP clients. My personal favorite is FileZilla.
The tab groups feature is now enabled for the majority of users. It will allow you to easily differentiate a group of tabs united by the same topic by giving a name for the group, and by setting a color of your choice for tabs. Check out this guide:
- VR device support via WebXR Device API.
- NTLM/Kerberos authentication is disabled by default for Incognito browsing.
- TLS 1.3 now includes extended protections techniques.
- A new flag, chrome://flags/#treat-unsafe-downloads-as-active-content, allows enabling/disabling warnings for file downloads Google considers unsafe. See Google Chrome Will Block All Insecure Downloads Soon.
- In mobile versions of Chrome there is a new Web NFC API to allow web apps to read NFC tags.
- API Media Session allows reading media track's position.
- Plenty of improvements for web developers.
- TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 are not disabled in this release. They will be disabled in Chrome 84.
- Fixed 32 vulnerabilities.
Note: The offline installer doesn't support the automatic update feature of Chrome. By installing it this way, you will be forced to always update your browser manually.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!