Mozilla today released a new version of their Firefox browser. Version 60 reached the stable branch, bringing several important changes. Here are the key changes
Firefox 60 represents the branch built with the new Quantum engine. It comes with a refined user interface, codenamed "Photon". The browser now comes without support for XUL-based add-ons, so all of the classic add-ons are deprecated and incompatible. See
Thanks to the changes made to the engine and the UI, the browser is blazingly fast. The user interface of the app is more responsive and it also starts up noticeably faster. The engine renders web pages much faster than it ever did in the Gecko era.
Here are the key changes in Firefox 60.
New Tab Page
The "New Tab" page now comes with an adaptive design and a refined user interface. It is optimized for wide screens and can display more elements and tiles. Its "Highlights" section includes web sites the user saved to the Pocket service.
Sponsored Content on New Tab page
Firefox users from the United States will see sponsored content generated by the Pocket service on the New Tab page. Mozilla promises that no-personal data is collected. This unpleasant feature can be disabled in the options of the New Tab page. Click on the gear icon at the top right and untick the box "Show Sponsored Stories".
Client Side Decorations on Linux
For Linux users, it is possible to disable the title bar and use the client side decorations feature. This can be done by entering into the Customize mode and disabling the Title bar option. The browser will hide the title bar. Buttons like Minimize/Maximize/Close will appear in the Tab row, next to the tabs.
In Firefox 60, cookie settings were merged with site data. It is not possible to remove individual web site cookies anymore using the new GUI. It is possible to remove them using Developer Tools.
- The user interface now uses Stylo (Quantum CSS engine), so it works faster and is more responsive than in Firefox 59 or earlier.
- Symantec's certificates issued before June 2016 are distrusted.
- WebRTC performance improvements
- Improved camera and microphone indicators will allow the user to track device activity.
- TCP Fast Open support for faster connections to web sites which support this technology. This option is disabled by default and can be enabled in about:config->network.tcp.tcp_fastopen_enable.
- A new customizable Group Policy template for Enterprise customers.
- Various security fixes.
Download Firefox 60
To get the browser, visit the following link:
You will see a number of folders. Click on one of the following folders:
- win32 - Firefox for Windows 32-bit
- win64 - Firefox for Windows 64-bit
- linux-i686 - Firefox for 32-bit Linux
- linux-x86_64 - Firefox for 64-bit Linux
- mac - Firefox for macOS
Each folder has subfolders organized by the browser's language. Click on the desired language and download the installer.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!