A new version of the popular Mozilla Firefox web browser is out today. Firefox 47 brings a number of interesting changes you might like. Let's see what changes the browser offers to the end user.
With version 47, Firefox adds the following changes and improvements.
- Support for Google’s Widevine CDM (Content Decryption Module) on Windows and Mac OS X so streaming services like Amazon Video can switch from Silverlight to encrypted HTML5 video. The mentioned content decryption module will provide playback for DRM-wrapped content. It will be downloaded when the user upgrades to or installs Firefox 47.
- Enable VP9 video codec for users with fast machines.
- Embedded YouTube videos now play with HTML5 video if Flash is not installed. Both webmasters and users will definitely benefit from this change.
- Allow no-cache on back/forward navigations for https resources.
- FUEL (Firefox User Extension Library) has been removed. Add-ons relying on it will stop working.
Do you have any FUEL based add-on? Tell us in the comments.
- The browser's parameter browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand in about:config has been reset to its default value (true) to avoid performance problems with Electrolysis (the process per tab architecture). According to Mozilla developers, this should make Firefox faster.
- The Firefox click-to-activate plugin whitelist has been removed. This means that all plugins now will require explicit confirmation from the user to be started. This should improve the browser's security and performance.
- A new about:performance tab which shows the performance details for add-ons and opened web pages:
You can find the complete change log HERE.
After the release of Firefox 47, Firefox Beta will be updated to version 48, Firefox Developer Edition will become version 49, and Firefox Nightly will become version 50.
Download Firefox 47
You can download Firefox using these links:
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!