As I installed Firefox 43 on all my PCs, it disabled some add-ons on my laptop. This is because of the new requirement that all addons be signed by Mozilla. If any of your favorite add-ons stopped working because of this signature enforcement added to Firefox 43, here is what you can do.
In Firefox 43, it is possible to disable the add-ons signature enforcement. After that, all your add-ons will continue to work as before. Here is how you can disable it.
- Open a new tab and enter the following text in the address bar:
Confirm that you will be careful if a warning message appears for you.
- Enter the following text in the filter box:
- To disable the feature, set this option to false.
After that, all your disabled non-signed extensions will start working in Firefox 43.
However, this solution is not permanent. With Firefox 44 or some later version, Mozilla might remove the "xpinstall.signatures.required" option.
So you might be forced to consider one of the following alternatives:
- Find a replacement for your unsigned extensions.
- Switch from the release channel of Firefox to the Nightly channel. However, I recommend you to not do this. Nightly often comes with bugs and serious issues which require additional investigation and fixes from the user. Nightly builds are not stable and bug-free for daily use.
- Try to contact the author of your extension and ask him to submit his extension to Mozilla's extensions web site so they will sign it.
You can also consider using a fork of Firefox or another browser altogether. Seamonkey, Pale Moon and Cyberfox are some examples of Firefox-based browsers which fork its open source code base and include their own modifications. However, Seamonkey lacks supports for many extensions. Pale Moon is OK if you are using Windows only, as it not supported that well in Linux.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!