For years, Internet Explorer has supported saving a web page as a single file web archive (.MHT). You might be surprised to know that Google Chrome has also added native support for saving pages as MHTML but it is not enabled by default. MHTML is an extremely convenient format for sharing with someone because everything from the HTML page is saved to a single *.mhtml file - all the text, CSS styles, scripts and even images will be saved. It also keeps your folder with saved web pages tidier. Let me show you how to activate the MHTML support in Google Chrome without using add-ons or plugins.
Update: The method described below doesn't work anymore. The flag is removed starting in Chrome 77. Here are the updated instructions.
To enable MHTML support in Google Chrome, do the following:
- Right-click on the Google Chrome Desktop shortcut.
- Select Properties from the context menu.
- Modify the Target text box value. Add the command line argument
- Click OK and confirm the UAC prompt.
- Restart the browser using your new shortcut.
Now, right-click on any area of the page and select "Save as", and ensure that the Save dialog has the "Web Page, single file" file type selected by default.
You are done.
Using the flag (For older Google Chrome versions)
- Open the Google Chrome browser and type the following text in the address bar:
This will open the flags page directly with the relevant setting.
- Click the Enable link under this option. It will change its text to Disable.
- Restart Google Chrome by closing it manually or you can also use the Relaunch button which will appear at the very bottom of the page.
After Chrome restarts, check out the Save dialog - just press Ctrl + S keys on any open tab. The browser will offer you to save it as a single file:
That's it! Unfortunately, Google Chrome does not always correctly open MHT files saved by other browsers.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!